Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has won the rights to a script for an hour-long drama series that will see Justin Timberlake star as former "The Gong Show" host Chuck Barris, according to Deadline. The untitled series will be based on "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind," a 1984 memoir in which Barris claimed that hosting "The Gong Show" was a cover for his real job as a CIA assassin. Barris later admitted that he made up the story.

chuck-barris-gong-show.jpeg

"Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" was already adapted into a film directed by George Clooney in 2002. The new Apple TV+ series will be co-produced by Paramount Television and Miramax, the latter of which released the 2002 film.

Timberlake recently starred in the Apple TV+ film "Palmer" alongside child actor Ryder Allen, who was nominated for a Critics Choice Award for Best Young Performer. Following the release of "Palmer" in late January, Apple TV+ reportedly set a new weekend viewership record, with a 33% increase over average viewer numbers at the time.

Article Link: Justin Timberlake to Star as Game Show Host Doubling as CIA Assassin in Upcoming Apple TV+ Series

vanillaboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2005
If done well, this could be brilliant. Somewhere along the lines of Get Shorty (the series, not the movies) or Killing Eve. Dark humor with some reality built in. Hoping for the best.

Comment

mannyvel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
This was such a hilarious show. I watched it as a kid and thought it was great. As an adult it's totally crazy. Everyone was drunk, high, or both.

Anyway, unless the show was doing a lot of location shots his story would have been impossible. Plus Chuck looked like he was blitzed most of the time, which is probably why the gong was so damn big - it's hard to miss a gong that big. Drunk assassins probably don't last real long in real life.

Comment

Corsig

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
So glad there’s others who remember this show. I expected a whole bunch of “What’s a gong show”

Comment

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2012
This could be good. I hope it isn’t so terribly stereotypical and 0-dimensions as Palmer (which I was looking forward to) or I’ll turn it off after the first 10-15 minutes too.

Comment

qoop

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2021
THE UNITED KINGDOM
I used to watch The Gong Show on Channel 4 in the UK. I'm not sure there is enough material here for a drama series though.

Comment

Orange Bat

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2021
I find it really odd how Apple is leaning on the past for their content. Most of their shows (not all) feature past-their-prime celebrities or ideas of the past. It reminds me of the time that Steve Jobs made a huge deal about The Beatles being on iTunes and people mostly shrugged. They don‘t seem interested in luring a younger demographic, which is not a good way to run a streaming service, IMO.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasu E.
Comment

NetMage

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
I find it really odd how Apple is leaning on the past for their content. Most of their shows (not all) feature past-their-prime celebrities or ideas of the past. It reminds me of the time that Steve Jobs made a huge deal about The Beatles being on iTunes and people mostly shrugged. They don‘t seem interested in luring a younger demographic, which is not a good way to run a streaming service, IMO.
Dickinson (sure, set in the past, but current star and updated music)? Ted Lasso? Calls? Cherry? Servant?

Reactions: Gasu E. and WaltCD
Comment

Royksöpp

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2013
Isn’t there some other new up and coming actor they could have chosen for this? Someone who doesn’t have a fall back career?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.