JustLooking Program and Changing Picture Icons?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by polycat33, Aug 7, 2007.

1. polycat33 macrumors 6502

I'm currently using JustLooking instead of Preview for the default program to open up my images (outside of iPhoto). However, I hate the icon that the program assigns to my image files. I have found a set of icons for all image files that I really like and I'd love to have those instead of the ugly ones from JustLooking. First off, is this somewhat straightforward to do (like just replacing icons in a folder?) and does anyone know how to do it in JustLooking or how to go about finding the files and what to do to them if I need to figure it out myself?

2. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, so 19 views so far and no comments. Hm.

I'm guessing a lot of people don't use JustLooking and can't just say "replace ____ with what you want and you're done."

So I guess I'm looking for info on how I find what I need to replace, where to look, what (roughly) to look for, and how to go about changing it when I find it. Anyone?

3. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I use Xee for pictures viewing and so far so good. You might want to give it a try. Freeware anyway.

4. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hm, wasn't looking for a new viewer program, however I like the image icons better, what a silly reason to switch to a new program. It does basically the same thing as JustLooking... I mainly want the ability to scroll through the pictures in a folder within the viewer program instead of having to open them up from the Finder each time. I've switched over to Xee now, still curious about how to change those icons though, it's apparently a component of the program, but Mac programs have so little to them (JustLooking had just the program app and the plist file when I removed it with AppCleaner) I'd have no idea where to go to change those.

5. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Yes, it should be rather trivial.

Right (control) click JustLooking.app and go to Show Package Contents

Go to the Contents, and then Resources folder

Replace Document.icns with whatever other icns it is you wish to use. May have to relaunch Finder for this to take effect. (Log out and log back in, relaunch Finder, kill via terminal, etc)

6. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Great, I knew nothing about show package contents but that's exactly what I needed!

Does Xee not work with .png files? There's a .png icon in the Resources folder but .png files don't show that icon, and they open in Preview.

No biggie, I never use .png except for screenshots, I'd actually rather just know how to change the screenshot file format to jpeg.