jvc camcorder GZ-MG175E... and more!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kvj4nyg, Jun 1, 2008.

1. kvj4nyg macrumors newbie

Hello everybody..

I dont have a mac YET, but i'm planning on buying one.. I have a JVC GZ-MG175E camcorder, and I was wondering if it will work directly with imovie, or do I have to use a speciel program? it would be awsome if anybody own the same kind of camcorder, or know someone who does..

I've heard that all digital cameras ( not camcorders ) will work with iphoto, is that true?

One last thing.. Does an ipod work with mac and pc at the same time, or do I have to choose what i wont it to work with? I've got an ipod nano 8 GB black ( the second newest ;) )

2. kvj4nyg thread starter macrumors newbie

3. kvj4nyg thread starter macrumors newbie

i know..

please anyone, i know pathetic, but i need some answers :)

4. hamchapman macrumors newbie

Every digital camera I have ever tried with a Mac has worked with iPhoto. So, unless your camera is extremely rare then I'd just assume that it would work.

Regarding your iPod. If you originally formatted your iPod on a Windows machine then it will work on both Windows and Mac computers. But if you formatted it on a Mac, then it will only work on Macs. **This may be the other way round...but I'm 99% sure that I've got it the right way round.**

I'm not sure about the JVC Camcorder...but if it uses Mini DV and you have a 1394 connection then I think it SHOULD work. At least it has for me in the past. Not sure about memory card or hard drive based Camcorders.

Hope this helps.

5. kvj4nyg thread starter macrumors newbie

it did, thanx.. but if the camera dont work with imovie, will i be able to import the video from the camcorder to a pc, burn it on to a dvd, and then import it to my mac and imovie?

kristian

6. hamchapman macrumors newbie

I'd assume so. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't.

If anything though, it would depend upon which format you burn the video to on the DVD. At least that's what I'd worry about.

7. kvj4nyg thread starter macrumors newbie

ok..

ok.. but do you know what format i should burn it to?

8. netti macrumors newbie

No problem

I have a JVC GZ-MG175E camcorder, and it works directly with imovie. First I connect the cam to the mac and then I set the cam up for PC. Easy, but have patience since it can take a while.. :D

9. kvj4nyg thread starter macrumors newbie

`yes..

sounds great! but do u use imovie 08 or 06?.. and what is it that takes a while?..

" set the cam up for pc " how exactly is that?

THANX!!!!!

10. td12 macrumors newbie

Camcorder Maze

I recently bought a Sony HG 40 (a hard drive camcorder), because two different sales people at Best Buy told me it works with Mac's, the camera workers, but as I told the guy from Panasonic Help Line and the manager at Best Buy when I went to return it, I didn't buy it for a still camera, but moving pictures-incidentally they charged me $60.00 bucks since "there was nothing wrong with it" I semi-politely told them I would never shop there again.

I went to the Mac store and purchased their recommended solution I-Life 08, but again it did not work with the Mac. The girl in the store gave me a Mac store print-out listing the Mac compatible HD camcorders, most of which are obsolete models.

I don't think there is anyone who knows anything about this issue, but good luck with it anyway

11. kvj4nyg thread starter macrumors newbie

ok..

thanx :)

12. netti macrumors newbie

I use iMovie´08. When you plug in the USBcabel your camera gives you several choices.. Select Playback on PC. It takes a minute maybe before the mac finds the camera by it self.

13. kvj4nyg thread starter macrumors newbie

awsome..

thank you :):):):):)