JVC Everio MG-630 Hard Disk camera & iMovie09

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by opmacuser, Mar 23, 2010.

1. opmacuser macrumors newbie

Hope someone can help. I have the Everio (model listed in the subject line) and a MacBook Pro running iMovie '09. I cannot get the movies downloaded to the Mac via iMovie or iPhoto. I've watched the tutorials and have done exactly what it says to do, but it doesn't work. Anyone else have this problem? What solutions do you geniuses know about that I have yet to discover???

When I connect the camera via USB the Everio_HDD icon pops up on my Mac but still can't download. iMovie does not recognize the Everio as being hooked up...it says there is no camera connected. Frustrating!

THanks for any advice.

2. hsia12210 macrumors newbie

Maybe is your JVC files are using H.264 codec, a codec not meant for editing.
    If you wanna import your Everio movies to iMovie, you need to copy movies to HDD first, then import it to iMovie.
    Remenber, if your JVC files are using H.264 codec, you must convert it, and choose MPEG-4 codec or AIC for output video format(.mov or .MP4), now, you can import the converted movies to iMoive for editing!:D
    Hope helps!

Regards
    Hisa Wendy

3. Chris at JVC macrumors newbie

JVC Response: JVC Everio MG-630 Hard Disk camera & iMovie09

Hi,

I work for JVC and would like to try and help.

Your GZ-MG630 is designed to work very nicely with iMovie '09. No file conversion of any kind is needed, and there is no special software you need to install. Here is all you need to do:

1. Connect the GZ-MG630 via USB
    2. At this point you will see a USB Menu on the camcorder screen. Choose "Playback on PC".
    3. Next, you need to launch iMovie '09. On some macs, iPhoto may launch. If this is the case, simply close iPhoto, and launch iMovie '09
    4. Choose to import from camera and then you will see a series of icons showing each video recording on your camcorder. You can either import everything, or select manually the scenes that you want.

It's that easy.

I hope this helps.

Chris

4. opmacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Chris. Honestly, I have taken all these steps, it all works like you said up to step 4. I can't get it to recognize that the Everio is a camera and there is no import option available. Any other suggestions??

5. Chris at JVC macrumors newbie

My recommendation is to take the camcorder to the dealer where you purchased your Mac, and try it out there using one of their demo Macs & iMovie.

If the camcorder works as described on the Mac in the store, then you know that there is a configuration issue on your Mac. If the camcorder does not work, then either the camcorder or the cable is bad. If you have a spare USB cable you can try, that might be a good idea too, although bad USB cables are pretty rare.

I hope this helps.

Chris

6. Lynne1962 macrumors newbie

JVC hard disk camcorder GZ-MG135

Hi, I'm also having problems transferring my videos onto my Macbook. It won't load the videos. I am trying to make a dvd in iDVD. I want to import video into it. I don't know how to use i-Movie. I am not literate with a lot of the Mac programs.
    Can anyone help in simple steps please?
    thanks,
    Lynne

7. Chris at JVC macrumors newbie

Hi,

I would encourage you to try the steps I list in earlier post on this thread. iMovie is amazingly easy, and works very well with your cam.

Chris

8. pietros macrumors newbie

Same problem here, Camera does not work with new Mac

I have the same problem here.
    My Everio JVC GZ-MG 630SE works fine with the mac mini, but does not work with the new pac book pro. The mac book pro is snow leopard 10.6.3

I have iMovie 09 version 8.0.6

Following the points:
    1. Connect the GZ-MG630 via USB

ok

2. At this point you will see a USB Menu on the camcorder screen. Choose "Playback on PC".

NO this does not happen.
    Instead after a brief moment it says:
    "POWER IS OFF OR USB DEVICE IS UNSUPPORTED"

Point 3 and 4 are never reached.

I think JVC needs to look into this.

3. Next, you need to launch iMovie '09. On some macs, iPhoto may launch. If this is the case, simply close iPhoto, and launch iMovie '09

4. Choose to import from camera and then you will see a series of icons showing each video recording on your camcorder. You can either import everything, or select manually the scenes that you want.

9. smike macrumors newbie

Try the Create DVD setting

Instead of choosing the setting "Playback on PC" try using "Create DVD". But first, make sure iMovie is open before connecting the camera. iPhoto will still open first. Close it. iMovie should then find the device read the camera, and "Generate Poster Images" which are the importable clips.

10. stlbrian macrumors newbie

Two import options

When I plug mine in, I select playback on pc, open imovie, and select "Import from camera" not just import. Then it pops up an isight window and at the bottom of that window there is a drop down to switch to the JVC. Select the clips to import or select import all, and your are done. Hope it helps

11. beecazz macrumors newbie

Cannot DL everio to imovie

I have a GZ-HD320 and followed the steps above (also what JVC support said to do) and nothing happens. JVC support said it was automatic download once you open imovie. When I choose import from camera then my imac built in camera pane shows up. The drop down box does not let me choose other then "built in isight." According to JVC it is an imovie problem, but of course according to apple i need to contact JVC.

Anyone find a fix?