JVC GY-HM100/Premiere Pro/SloMo?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by maccauni, Nov 4, 2009.

1. maccauni macrumors member

The phrase "all the gear no idea" comes to mind here. So ive got a JVC GY-HM100 provided by my Uni & premiere pro on my new 27" iMac, unfortunately no FCP though. Im planning to shoot in 720p/50p because I want to slow the footage down for some smooth slow-motion.

What is the best way to achieve this?
    Do I want a 25fps timeline or a 50fps timeline?
    What will be the correct project settings, i.e HDV, XDCAM, AVCHD etc?
    Should I use Adobe media encoder to convert the 50fps clips down to 25fps?
    Or should I just slow the clips down using 'speed/duration' in Premiere Pro

Il be shooting a BMX video at a skatepark during the day & floodlit at night, how do you think it will cope under the floodlights?

So many questions but if one or two can get answered I will be more on my way to a good end result. Im much more of a graphic designer than a video producer so im right out of my comfort zone now. Il post a link to the video when im done.

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

no idea, but how are you liking the HM100? How is the low light?

3. anthemus macrumors regular

anthemus

Typically for over-cranked footage I bring it thru Cinema Tools and drop the frame rate from 60p to 30p. For Premiere I would import as 50p, speed change the clip by 50% (25p) and drop it in your 25p timeline.

For shooting light will be your biggest concern. Try and plan your shots ahead of time letting the guys know when golden hour is (the hour the sunsets on the horizon). This will be one of the best times to shoot granted its not overcast. During the day make a mental list of the spots that have lights and don't have lights. Shoot the spots without lights during the day and plan the other shots accordingly. Having shot skate videos before my guys always wanted to go to there spots regardless of what time of day or lighting would be best. After a few shoots and seeing the footage I convinced them of shooting certain spots at certain times. Also to pre-plan some of the tricks they wanted to do. If you can get a camera light or any extra light. Shooting at a higher frame rate means your shutter will be higher, less light for exposure. Some of the evening footage you may have to drop down to 25p in order to get even an acceptable picture. There are some tools to help with slo-mo if you happen to shoot at lower frame rates.

Twixtor: http://www.revisionfx.com/products/twixtor/

4. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

A lot of noise at 18db gain, but I use Neat Video's de-noise plugin and it gets rid of most of it while keeping a sharp image, so it isnt a problem. Like the above poster said, plan ahead, bring some lighting and you'll be fine. I am extremely happy with mine and will buy one again! Right now I'm thinking of switching over to Canon 5D Mark II for dof shots. Nikon lost the V-DSLR game...

5. maccauni thread starter macrumors member

firstly thanks for the replies.

So I went and shot the footage for the BMX video im producing and I am very happy with the results especially considering the low light. To experienced video producers I imagine it wont look great but to my eyes its fine. The lens flare from the floodlights was a major problem but I had to shoot at night so theres not much i could have done about that. Il post a link to the video below, any feedback and suggestions would be welcomed because as I said in my OP video production isn't an area im particuarly knowledgeable about.

Luke GROOVE BMX Edit°1

thanks

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

cool video you did a great job. IMO i like the lens flares from the floodlights.
    The image quality is amazing from that little camera..

7. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Cool video, the lens flare works out very well with the video. Look into Red Giant's Magic Bullet Mojo color corrector, it'll give your video a different feel.

8. maccauni thread starter macrumors member

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

cool vid. I have a question for you, Do you know of any rumors of JVC upgrading the model soon? JVC has some nice rebates when you buy, thought they might be getting rid of the old stock for the newer version.

10. MrMugen macrumors newbie

imac 27 with jvc hm100

how does the imac 27 run with full resoution gyhm100 footage? Is it fast enough?

11. duba macrumors newbie

how do you get premiere pro to open gy-hm100 footage?? i am having some serious issues, the only footage ive been able to watch came on my girlfriends macbook where she has FCP 7... :confused:

12. maccauni thread starter macrumors member

sounds like you have shot the footage in the quicktime format, as far as I am aware the footage is ONLY compatible with FCP. to edit in Premiere you need to shoot in mp4. You may be able to convert your footage using media encoder or compressor etc.