K-Cup Brewers

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tjb1, Jan 27, 2011.

1. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Can anyone recommend a good K-Cup brewer around or under $120 and some good flavors. I dont really like "coffee" but I do like the cappuccinos and hot chocolate type stuff, flavored coffee always seems to suck out of a normal coffee machine.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Try this thread ... The are others.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1023107

B70 model and most people like donut shop coffee, I find it too weak. A real cappuchino should also contain milk. I think a Keurig for hot coco is a waste. Hot coco should be made with milk, not water.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Unless you can't drink milk. There's a lot of us out there. :(

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh I know, but a Keurig for hot coco only is a waste.

5. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

As someone that likes it the darker the better (heh!), what is your recommendation?

6. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

I didn't like any of the k-cup coffee, I found them too weak. I usually buy my own and fill it up in the re-usable filter.

Dunkin Donuts FTW!! =)

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ strong and black ... Yum
    I love Gloria Jeans Black Gold, Jet Fuel, Black Tiger, Tully's Full City Roast, Coffee People Organic, and recently learned and started drinking in masses, Green Mountain Espresso Blend. Green Mountain isn't usually my favorite but their espresso blend is yum.

8. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

^^^ thanks! I need to make an Amazon order, and will give your suggestions a try. I can get Jet Fuel at work, and enjoy it.

9. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Do you guys drink coffee everyday, if so how many cups do you have? I usually have to stop drinking every couple weeks, my head starts to hurt when I drink coffee for weeks at a time. :(

10. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

I dont really mean I dont like "coffee" I just dont like the "flavored" crap like folgers...the french vanilla folgers about made me puke from the smell and taste. Ive been looking and found espresso and french vanilla from green mountain that looks pretty good and maybe the mahogany from caribou coffee. Any other suggestions on a good flavored coffee?

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have 3 cups a day normally. It's been averaging around 2 because on weekends I tend to get up and go.

12. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I try not to, but honestly I drink waaaaay too much coffee - probably four days per week. Everywhere I go for work, free coffee is all around me, so I tend to always have a cup on hand. On the days that I drink it, I'd guess I have 5-6 cups per day. And when I say cup, I mean a 12oz one.

13. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

I'm starting to have withdrawals tonight, tomorrow I'll have a pretty bad headache and be fine for the weekend... lol

When I drink coffee everyday the front of my head feels heavy and hurts a little... :mad:

14. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

That's just like me - if I go without for a couple days straight, I'll get a horrible headache for a day, then be fine. Ugh...I guess it's better than being hooked on alcohol. :)

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Well that's your problem. You're drinking crap. Starbucks coffee is actually pretty good but it's over priced by at least $1 compared to other brands that are easily as good. My personal favorite is Kona (not blend) bought in Hawaii. Kind of hard to get stateside though.

16. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

No I tried it once :) I dont really have an option to get starbucks either...so im going for this k-cup brewer.

17. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

Unless, like me, you prefer to drink your coffee straight. When we got the Keurig, and I discovered Kona blends, I never returned to Starbucks.

18. Gromet macrumors regular

Gromet

I would highly recommend you look into a Tassimo Brew Bot. My wife and I got the T65 for Christmas. I have a keurig in my office and since getting the Tassimo absolutely hate the Keurig. The Keurig drink come out very watery to me...

The Tassimo does Coffee, Iced Coffee, Cappuccino, Lattes, Espresso, Hot Chocolates, Teas, and it uses real milk for it's milk/foam drinks. The flavor from the Tassimo is SO much better then the Keurig.

I can't wait for the office Keurig to break down to replace it with a Tassimo...

Check it out: http://www.tassimodirect.com/home.aspx

-Gromet

19. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

To the OP. If you happen to be a Costco member they sell the B70 with 60 k-cups and the re-usable filler for only $139. Can't beat the deal.

To echo Jessica, stay away from the Hot Choc, horrible stuff. My kid won't even drink it and it clogs the machine.

I personally like the Donut Shop, but also picked up a bunch of Santa Buzz. Its a holiday blend from Coffee People. Its got a good rich flavor. I found most of the Gloria Jeans stuff really weak. Bed Bath and Beyond has a great selection in house of flavors so you can try something out before you buy in bulk on Amazon for greater savings.

You just have to watch the large cup size. The biggest cup size offered on the B70 will water down all but the strongest blends.

20. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I have a Keurig B60 which I use occasionally for coffee but a lot more for hot water (for tea, hot chocolate, and other instant drinks -- even instant noodle soup). There is a Tassimo here at work and I have been enjoying the coffee that it produces -- even better than my Keurig, I think. I am considering buying a Tassimo T45 or T65 for my house to complement the Keurig.

Otherwise, I think the B60 is your best deal in a Keurig brewer. The B40 is pretty stripped down. Don't even consider the "personal" brewer unless you like the idea of refilling its little water tank every single time you want a drink.

21. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

22. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Well, the whole premise of these things is that they heat your water and squirt it through a brewing cup/capsule. The Tassimo has the bar code that allows the machine to select a specific temperature to heat the water to before sending it to your drink. I don't know if there's an actual "cold" setting.

However, sometimes the cold drinks are made by getting you to brew a cup of hot drink into a glass filled with ice cubes. I have a box of Keurig "iced coffee" K-cups and that's how it works.

23. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, I called them and you brew it into ice. Looks like I will be picking up the Tassimo T20 from walmart tonight :) Thanks guys/girls!

24. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

Fans of Kona Blend k-cups may want to stock up. I got a notice, the other day, that they have all been discontinued due to supply issues.