Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PTLove

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
The biggest problem with this is sustained performance though. Can it keep that sort of performance after more than a minute.

keviig

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
The biggest problem with this is sustained performance though. Can it keep that sort of performance after more than a minute.
Look at the SP4 core m3, it'll max out at roughly 60-60c with no throttling. As long as the design around the chip lets it transfer the heat somewhere, roughly 5w of heat can be dissipated without throttling. The reason why the Macbook throttles is that it draws roughly 10W at max load, far beyond Intel's TDP. Once throttled it settles at around 6-8W.

PTLove

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Look at the SP4 core m3, it'll max out at roughly 60-60c with no throttling. As long as the design around the chip lets it transfer the heat somewhere, roughly 5w of heat can be dissipated without throttling. The reason why the Macbook throttles is that it draws roughly 10W at max load, far beyond Intel's TDP. Once throttled it settles at around 6-8W.

True, but not totally what I meant. Intel allows the Core M to draw over 5W (or 4.5W) for small bursts before they limit the chip strictly on TDP. Even if you kept the chip at 20C it would still throttle for TDP.

You can get around that via your bios and just make it not throttle, but at that point I have to wonder why your not just using the 15Watt parts in the first place.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Im wondering how fast will be Iris and Iris Pro from Kaby Lake.

keviig

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
True, but not totally what I meant. Intel allows the Core M to draw over 5W (or 4.5W) for small bursts before they limit the chip strictly on TDP. Even if you kept the chip at 20C it would still throttle for TDP.

You can get around that via your bios and just make it not throttle, but at that point I have to wonder why your not just using the 15Watt parts in the first place.
Apple doesn't stick to the whole 5W TDP, it will use over 5W for however long the task is, as long as it's under 100c core temp. Most Windows computers do however stick to the 5W TDP, and therefore throttles due to power limit and not temp, like Apple does. I know this after having owned both the Macbook as well as core m windows laptops, all of which i have benchmarked with Intel Power Gadget to tell the TDP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.