Kane & Lynch: The Controversy Part II

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by sikkinixx, Dec 3, 2007.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Here is the dichotomy Gamespot now finds itself in.

In order to 'enhance' revenue from advertising (which is attractive to advertisers because of the big subscribers & readership it has) Gamespot has been mandating and fabricating it's own work.

In order to 'secure' revenue it has sacked an employee who gave less than favorable review to one of its 'big' advertisers products.

In the hoopla of the internet scandals that follows, gamespot loses all credibility in the eyes of it readership and will no doubt see a drop off in subscribers who can no longer trust anything they are reading

Gamespot now with a depleted readership is no longer as attractive to advertisers and the big name player who demanded the sacking of your man, or going to pull their big ad, no longer will see GS as a viable ad-stream and will probably stop placing BIG ad's anyway.

So gamespot will end up losing the big advertising and losing it readership who no longer trust it.

Congratualtions GS. Great job done, and justly deserved.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I really did like going to Gamespot and reading the stories but after I started noticing some serious negative or overly positive reviews that were not just...I couldn't go back there without thinking something was wrong. I hope they just get shut down because do we really need a site that lie about the scores just to get that pay?

So whos next?...IGN, Gametrailers, 1up?

Bless

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

For me Jeff G getting fired from GameSpot was the final straw. Over the last few months all the good reviewers left. Now that Jeff is gone the only review I like there is Kevin V. Personally I've had it. I cancelled my subscription and moved over to 1UP.

As for Eidos they just can't do a thing right it seems.

5. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

1up's shane is my freakin' hero. He's awesome. :D

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What does Gamespot have to do w/this? The out of context quotes and fake scores appeared on the K&L official site. Edios got caught w/it's hand in the cookie jar (much like Sony studios did a few years ago) which is pretty surprising considering all the negative press recently from the Gamespot firing. You'd think Edios would be making sure nothing K&L would be set to blow up in it's face again.

Lethal

7. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

And do we even know that this guy got fired because he didn't give a good review to a heavily advertised game or is that just speculation from people who believe so strongly that these sites are complete sellouts?

8. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Well the fact that he cannot talk about it due to legal reasons is a big indicator that there is some malfeasance and he is taking legal action.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Or he got a severance package w/the stipulation that he can't talk about his dismissal.

Lethal

10. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I have, and always will use IGN. Brilliant site.

11. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

One of IGN's journalists gave a nice, rational account of what he believes happened at gamespot on his blog (nov. 30th post).

12. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

13. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

14. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

Man, IGN is corrupt. I mean they have reviewers with their own opinions and everything! What's up with that!? ;)

15. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

No. They're corrupt because thay gave a flawed game a great score. And they happen to be a main sponsor for it.

Slight conflict of interest don't you think?

The review is incredibly short and overwhemingly positive. I love the Pro Evo series, but this game has some problems on the PS3. There is lag in single player and incredible lag in multiplayer, often rendering it unplayable. They didn't even mention this in their review –*guess what? All the other game sites that didn't have a vested interest in it's sales did!

Do you think it would of got such a high score if they didn't have their logo plastered all over the game?

Nothing like a wink-eyed attempt at sarcasm from someone who doesn't bother reading up on what he's commenting on. ;)

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

18. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL!! Sad thing is this isn't a new phenomenon. It effects Movies & Music too. Just marketing BS....

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

"The new "hot as hell" album from Lily Allen!"

*le sigh* we need Yahtzees in every media form. Vii, start up the cloning machine.

21. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I'm still struggling to figure out why anyone's surprised at this. Game reviews were skewed to begin with; now sites have to deal with their sites generating ad revenue meanwhile their bosses have to worry about that almighty paycheck.

Unless its friends or a source that cannot be swayed - I don't trust game reviews. ;) Not since the early days of Nintendo Power and when Sushi-X was in EGM and Slasher Quan was in GamePro and Game Informer. All the reviewers nowadays I either have one problem or another with, or I think they're just full of hot air. Game Informer nowadays isn't too bad, and Play (Dave Halverson) is a great magazine. The rest of the magazines and all sites...bleh. :p

22. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

This is why I only pay attention to three places to hear what games are good:

(In no order)
    1) Here
    2) Friends who have played the game
    3) Penny Arcade

23. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Using the big sites for reviews works too. You just have to be able to read between the lines and not just look at the score at the end.