Kanex iAdapt HDMI for Mini...HD Audio???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by boodyup, Feb 14, 2010.

1. boodyup macrumors member

Hi,

I've been looking at the Kanex iAdapt HDMI for my Mac Mini. The product states that both HD Audio and HD Video are supported through the product. I've read from its website that certain Mini-Display Ports on Mac products have the capability of passing both through. Do the Late 2009 Minis have this capability? I have a 2.66GHz model fwiw.

Thanks!

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

no mini-display ports have audio on them

this device uses the optical audio out on the mini to get the audio, and combines it with the video signal from the display port and outputs that on its HDMI port. all mac minis and laptops for the past few years have included the optical audio out.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I don't see anything on the website that says it supports HD audio. Since it uses the optical audio output, it would not be possible to send HD audio over this anyway.

EDIT: I see which one your looking at now. They are correct when they say the current Macs don't support audio through the MDP. I think some people have managed to get it working in Windows so its likely an OSX limitation rather than a hardware one.