Kanex USB-C to SD Card Reader alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Floris, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Is there a better one than this one?

I am not familiar at all with card readers, but I rather invest in a card reader that's usb-c than one that requires an additional dongle.

"Kanex USB-C to SD Card Reader"
    supports multiple cards
    5gbps
    and ends in usb-c

eh.. and space gray

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

More and more cameras are moving to U3 UHS-II speeds to be able to write 4K video from the camera body and/or clear the cache faster from shooting high frame raw image sequences (sports, wildlife). So Lexar and Sandisk have fast SDXC cards to deal with high speed reading and writing. But there are only a few SD card readers that the do the high speeds. So to me there is no need for a reader connecting USB-C native mode.....it if is not also high speed. Look at the Lexar card readers. So far Lexar has only released USB based models.....no native USB-C readers yet.

The wife and I will be upgrading/replacing our Olympus E-M1 camera bodes to E-M1 MarkII. Those cameras should be release this coming week and start shipping in time for Christmas. The camera's I/O port is USB-C. It may be the first camera body with a native USB-C port. So we might use the camera body as a card reader until native USB-C U3 UHSII readers appear