Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Kanex today announced availability of its GoPlay Sidekick wireless game controller for iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. The pocket-sized controller, introduced at CES 2017, can be purchased from Kanex's website starting today for $59.95. A company spokesperson told MacRumors it will also be available on Amazon next week.

kanex-goplay-sidekick-800x290.jpg

The console-inspired game controller features pressure-sensitive buttons, dual analog joysticks, trigger buttons, a directional pad, and a Lightning connector, while one of its more interesting features is its patent pending protective clamshell case with an integrated stand that props up an iPhone during gameplay.

The controller, certified under Apple's MFi Program, connects to Apple devices over Bluetooth 4.0 and offers up to 20 hours of gameplay on a single charge. It works with almost any controller-supported game on the App Store.

Competing products sold by Apple include the SteelSeries Nimbus Wireless Gaming Controller and HORIPAD ULTIMATE Wireless Game Controller, each $49.95 in the United States. Prices vary in other countries.

Article Link: Kanex's GoPlay Sidekick Pocket-Sized Game Controller for iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV Now Available

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I feel like the proper way to make game hardware that people actually buy is to bundle it with a killer game.

Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, and Zelda: OOT sold the Nintendo 64.
Super Smash Bros. Melee sold the GameCube.
Wii Sports sold the Wii/Wii Motes.
Wii Fit sold the Wii Balance Board.
Zelda: Skyward Sword sold the Wii Remote Motion Plus.
Zelda: Breath of the Wild sold the Switch.

Nothing sold the Wii U, thus its total failure.

Nothing is selling this, thus it will fail, just like every third party iOS controller before it, and the Wii U, and every other piece of failed game hardware.

Reactions: vertical smile
Comment

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I feel like the proper way to make game hardware that people actually buy is to bundle it with a killer game.

I totally agree with you. I bought a controller for my Apple TV, but there really isn't a killer game for it. There are a few that look promising, but nothing like a high quality Nintendo, Playstation, or XBox game, so my controller sits in a drawer doing nothing.

Comment

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
I'm sure there's good reason for it, but so many games that are ideal for a game controller don't support it. The Lego games, Mortal Combat, racing games, etc.

Comment

vertical smile

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2014
I would need to hold the Go Play Sidekick, but it looks decent.

Nothing is selling this, thus it will fail, just like every third party iOS controller before it, and the Wii U, and every other piece of failed game hardware.

I bought the SS Nimbus controller for the ATV4. The controller itself is very nice, perfect size, and well made.

The biggest problem is that there is not any decent games to play on tvOS.

I had high hopes for the ATV4 prior to launch. Between loving my older ATVs and all the rumors of console quality games kept me glued to all the rumor sites to get more information. I was pretty let down watching the ATV4's CrossyRoads demo at the Apple Event. I am not saying Crossyroads is not fun, but visually, it was a pretty big let down.

Then right before launch, there was rumors about the Siri Remote requirement for all tvOS apps, which I think killed any motivation for developers to bring console quality games to the ATV4. That and the low maximum app size amount.

Between the gaming situation, and the UI of Netflix and Hulu, I find myself using my ATV3 more and more. If I could get the Siri feature on my ATV3, I would probably never use my ATV4.

Maybe the ATV5 will be everything that the ATV4 wasn't.

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Between loving my older ATVs and all the rumors of console quality games kept me glued to all the rumor sites to get more information. I was pretty let down watching the ATV4's CrossyRoads demo at the Apple Event. I am not saying Crossyroads is not fun, but visually, it was a pretty big let down.

Visually crossyroads is fine. It's just a very short, very casual game. There's no meat of any sort to it to justify any price.

(Disclaimer: I've never touched crossyroads. I saw it when it was presented on stage at WWDC, and that's what I felt about it. It looked like a frogger clone with a modern art style. And that's what I felt about frogger. No meat at all. Not at all worth buying.)

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Then right before launch, there was rumors about the Siri Remote requirement for all tvOS apps, which I think killed any motivation for developers to bring console quality games to the ATV4. That and the low maximum app size amount.

Maybe the ATV5 will be everything that the ATV4 wasn't.
That Siri Remote requirement was the death knell for ATV4 gaming. Devs were hamstrung at the outset.

Comment

TrueBlou

Contributor
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Has anyone used a mini controller such as this one? It looks like an ergonomic nightmare? Never used one so I don't know if that's actually the case.

Yeah, I used the Steelseries (Stratus I think it was called) and which this bears a striking similarity to looks wise.
Maybe it’s due to my larger than average hands (ahem, pit shovels:D) But I found it extremely uncomfortable after a short time.

Nothing beats a proper, full sized controller, sadly those aren’t quite as portable.

Comment

vertical smile

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2014
That Siri Remote requirement was the death knell for ATV4 gaming. Devs were hamstrung at the outset.
I agree with this. It seemed so obvious that it was a poor decision, I wonder who came up with it?

Visually crossyroads is fine. It's just a very short, very casual game. There's no meat of any sort to it to justify any price.

I agree with you. CrossyRoads looked fine.... Just fine.

The rumors prior to the ATV4 Event was saying that the ATV4 would have graphic capabilities close to Xbox 360. Would Microsoft demo CrossyRoads for their console event? Maybe, I don't really pay attention to modern gaming, but I would guess not.

Before anyone replies about this, I understand that the ATV4 was not a gaming console like the Xbox, but why couldn't it be? Even if it was not capable of Xbox 360 graphics, why demo something like CrossyRoads? Why not a game using the Unreal Engine? Also, is there any tvOS UE games? Real Racing looks pretty good on the ATV4, that would have been a good game to demo.

Anyways, I have been pretty disappointed with the ATV4, maybe the ATV5 will have what I am looking for.

Comment

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Has anyone used a mini controller such as this one? It looks like an ergonomic nightmare? Never used one so I don't know if that's actually the case.

I used the SteelSeries one which looks almost identical and I liked it. My hands are medium-large sized (I wear large gloves) and it was pretty comfortable.

Then again the Gameboy micro is my favorite console to hold, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
I agree with this. It seemed so obvious that it was a poor decision, I wonder who came up with it?

Before anyone replies about this, I understand that the ATV4 was not a gaming console like the Xbox, but why couldn't it be? Even if it was not capable of Xbox 360 graphics, why demo something like CrossyRoads? Why not a game using the Unreal Engine? Also, is there any tvOS UE games? Real Racing looks pretty good on the ATV4, that would have been a good game to demo.

Anyways, I have been pretty disappointed with the ATV4, maybe the ATV5 will have what I am looking for.
The sad thing is, the ATV4 never even needed the fidelity of a 360/PS3. Nintendo proved that with the Wii. A first party controller similar to the Dual Shock or the XB1 Controller, no requirement for Apple Remote support, and that would have been enough. Real Racing be perfect. I did a cursory search of Unreal games on iOS. There were some surprising well known titles like Batmant Arkham City, Borderlands, Mortal Kombat, Infinity Blade. Unreal on the ATV4 was/is totally doable.

I used the SteelSeries one which looks almost identical and I liked it. My hands are medium-large sized (I wear large gloves) and it was pretty comfortable.

Then again the Gameboy micro is my favorite console to hold, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
I have fairly large hands. Anything smaller than a Dual Shock or XB Controller throws me off for some reason (muscle memory most likely)

Comment

kingjames1970

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
Hampshire, UK

I bought a Wii U for Mario Kart 8!

Comment

WillyVelsen

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
The Netherlands
Apple needs to add L3 and R3 push in buttons on the analog sticks to the mfi protocol to really matter. every real game console has those, so every quality video game can use those.

Comment

star-affinity

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2007
I totally agree with you. I bought a controller for my Apple TV, but there really isn't a killer game for it. There are a few that look promising, but nothing like a high quality Nintendo, Playstation, or XBox game, so my controller sits in a drawer doing nothing.

Heroki (
Heroki by SEGA
https://appsto.re/se/GvAB8.i)
is one example of a game on the Apple TV that feels as solid as a console game when using a game controller (in my opinion). But you're right that there aren't many that reach that level.

Comment

ikir

macrumors 68000
Sep 26, 2007
I have 4 Steelseries Nimbus which I use with my AppleTV for multiplayer/party games with friends. But one of this should be nice for my Mac/iPad
[doublepost=1501071872][/doublepost]
Try Space Marshalls 2 it use gamepad 100% and it is a high quality game
Space Marshals 2 di Pixelbite
https://appsto.re/it/cWk8_.i
[doublepost=1501071999][/doublepost]
Yes this was a big error, anyway there is no this limit anymore, indeed most good games REQUIRES a MFi controller

Last edited:
Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
Yes this was a big error, anyway there is no this limit anymore, indeed most good games REQUIRES a MFi controller
Indeed, it's no longer a requirement. That doesn't change the fact that the remote requirement dampened the initial enthusiasm for gaming on the ATV4. It was a missed opportunity that is still having ramifications. The ATV4 was and is a capable gaming machine that has been primarily ignored. The number of quality titles is few and far between.

Comment

zantafio

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2014

Have you tried the following:
MC5
Asphalt 8
Suicide Squad

Comment

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Have you tried the following:
MC5
Asphalt 8
Suicide Squad

Dumb question, but I see that you listed Modern Combat 5.

I have been unable to sync my account on gameloft between the Apple TV and iOS versions. After I play the first training level (from a fresh Atv install) it asks for my gameloft account, after I input it the app then quits telling me I need the latest version of mc5 to play. Of course, I am using the most rescent version on the Apple TV.

Is MC5 working on your Apple TV? Is it linked to a game center/gameloft account?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.