Kanji handwriting recognition on Ipod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by erz, Feb 27, 2008.

1. erz macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have searched the forums and only found a post of a user hoping for the SDK to bring such a neat feature (Kanji handwriting recognition), for which I am still dependant on my trusted old Zaurus.

Is there any such feat as with the Zaurus possible to be accomplished within the world of Apple? I am hoping for a solution for a jailbroken Iphone/IpodTouch, but even if 3rd party software via a wacom for example allows this I'd be interested for starters. An electronic dictionary with which to look up handwritten Kanji would be awesome to have, when I finally make the switch. Would the Japanese Mac users not have demanded (or developed) this in the past??

Thanks.

2. pjac macrumors regular

I'd thought something like this would be a cool app for the iPhone and iTouch. Perhaps something based on one of the free Linux kanji recognition / dictionary programs?

How does apple's built in keyboard work in Japanese mode? Or isn't there one?

3. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

If you turn on Japanese in the general settings, it auto completes japanese words in hiragana and recognizes katakana and kanji characters as well.

I think from there they just need a way to have a one-to-one mapping of symbols, but this would be a really huge update for that to happen. But definitely something to think about.

4. benwulf macrumors newbie

Handwriting recognition with Shinkanji

The kanji study application shinkanji uses handwriting recognition as one of several method to find a kanji then you are presented with definition, readings, and an animated stroke order diagram

5. nixoninajar macrumors newbie

go to settings>general>keyboard>International Keyboards and activate Chinese Handwriting. You can draw Kanji with you finger and it makes proposals.

6. lamewing macrumors newbie

This only helps a bit because you still cannot enter kana with this method. I cannot believe that iOS still doesn't have an method to enter kanji and kana by means of handwriting...Until it does, I will pass on the iPad.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

old thread, but good topic. i use both japanese and chinese every day, so i make heavy use of the chinese character recognition input. it is quite nice, and covers a lot of the characters i come across.

ideally, it would have a dedicated japanese one, but osx doesn't even have that, so i am not holding my breath. this is one area in which apple is far, far behind microsoft. still, even with its terribly "dumb" character recognition (both handwriting and character selection for keyboard input) it is very functional. i would definitely recommend it, and i can tell you that all of my japanese colleagues who own it are very pleased with it.

as for kana, i don't even know if microsoft has that (i'd have to fire up the old netbook to check). that is sort of like having character recognition for the alphabet, though, and not terribly useful. just type on the keyboard (ka, ki, ku, ke, ko, etc.) and the kana will come up for you.