Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dfndr90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
I just came across a pretty nice app to learn kanji on the iPhone/iPod. It's called Kanji Flip, and it's only $3.

The interface is easy to use and the progress system actually makes learning kanji surprisingly fast. I find myself learning at least a few kanji a day using it.

The developer also seems to reply to comments, so there are more features on the way.

Just type Kanji Flip in iTunes to find it, or here's a link:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=287049212&mt=8

benwulf

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2008

reboad

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2008
Finland
Somehow I kinda got myself into japanese classes, so now I need to learn at least hiragana. Now I've been wondering which is best.

Kanji flip seems to do the trick and obviously even includes kanji, if I ever get that far. Or does anyone have better options?

TripleJ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Somehow I kinda got myself into japanese classes, so now I need to learn at least hiragana. Now I've been wondering which is best.

Kanji flip seems to do the trick and obviously even includes kanji, if I ever get that far. Or does anyone have better options?

Hikachan is developed specifically for learning hiragana / katakana and uses mnemonics, pictures and sounds to help you learn, so if you're starting from the beginning, it might make it easier. (I built it around the way i learnt when i first started studying japanese at least :) )

As with the kanji flip developer, I'm definitely happy to respond to any comments or suggestions as well.

reboad

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2008
Finland
Hikachan is developed specifically for learning hiragana / katakana and uses mnemonics, pictures and sounds to help you learn, so if you're starting from the beginning, it might make it easier. (I built it around the way i learnt when i first started studying japanese at least :) )

As with the kanji flip developer, I'm definitely happy to respond to any comments or suggestions as well.

Well, you got me convinced. Your programs should be way better for my level :)

After my first lesson I immediately noticed that I won't learn this language if I don't put a bit more effort on it. Then I thought that I could use my productive work time for learning, since about 80% of the time I'm just drinking coffee and waiting. With your app I think I can pass my time a bit faster for a while ^^

TripleJ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Awesome :) I hope you enjoy it!
If you think of any extra features you'd like added or have any comments or suggestions after using it, please do let me know as i try to add as many user requests as possible :) Working on some exciting updates at the moment as well and these will of course be free for existing users.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
Kanji Flip seems pretty cool, though I definitely do not like how it handles the Katakana learning section. It starts out with combinations of two Katakana rather than a single "letter" (unlike Hiragana where it starts out with single-letter and then moves on). In fact, the first Katakana it gave me was "Vyu", "Bi + Yu" (but it doesn't split it like that showing what the two letters were, the only answer it gives you is "Vyu").

But of course it's designed for Kanji, so I can see the author not spending much time on the Kana section.

ch78

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Ever tried Kanji LS Touch?

After trying some learning softwares on Iphone I highly recommend this software (http://www.apptism.com/apps/kanji-ls-touch). It has many advantages compared to other softwares. Please check for yourself. It's maybe a little bit costly (1.400 JPY) but still better spending much on a worthy application than squandering a little every here and there without finding a good one. I'm pretty confident that you will vote this one of the best kanji learning softwares (if not best of the bests) after using it. You can watch video of people using it here: http://web.me.com/quitscheentchen/KSTen/Kanji_LS_Touch_Videos.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.