Kansas City Graphic Design Job Prospects.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 7on, Aug 13, 2007.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I was wondering if any of you fine gents or ladies in the KC area know of a graphic design position that's open. I have 2 years of experience working on campus for the Publications department and I have a BFA in Visual Communications.

http://web.mac.com/jonshipman/resume.pdf

Just thought it couldn't hurt asking about job opportunities on the board :-D

2. shecky Guest

shecky

not that you asked, or care what my opinion is, but you should really redo that resume before applying for work. it looks really amateurish. i would not take it seriously if it came across my desk. don't forget you will be competing with KCAI students for jobs, so you need to raise the bar.

3. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

There don't seem to be a huge amount of graphic design jobs out this way, but Craigslist and CareerBuilder are good places to look. The Kansas City Star uses CareerBuilder for their online job classifieds. You might also want to think about using a placement agency to help you get in the door with some bigger companies. As a web developer I signed up with Robert Half Technologies and Ajilon Consulting and am now working on a nice semi-long term project with American Century Investments. These temporary consulting gigs can often turn into or lead to full time positions. Here's a good list of local graphic design jobs. Good luck!
    Edit: Oh, and I agree with Shecky. You might want to make your resume look a little more professional.

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

For anyone that is a graphic designer and hasn't done so already, you should join AIGA. You'll get job offers left and right for whatever area you are in.

5. shecky Guest

shecky

thats completely untrue. how do you figure this? all AIGA does for you relative to jobs is let you use the job bank and post a portfolio, along with 20,000 other designers who have done the same thing. i do think there is value in attending AIGA events as one of the best roads to freelance work is to be friends with other designers, but you make it sound like having membership means jobs are thrown at you, which does not happen.

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

It happens in KC, where there is a short supply of (good) designers.
    I guess I should've mentioned that I guess it all depends on your skills as well

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

7on- I agree with shecky, redesign your resume. The simpler, the better. I would use a simpler font as well, something like akzidenz grotesk or some other very graphic, non-serif font. Remember, you want to be direct.