Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Music last week teamed up with Kanye West for a global livestream of the premiere of West's latest album, "Donda."

kanye-west-apple-music-album-livestream.jpg

The exclusive livestream saw 3.3 million viewers tune in, which TMZ says is a new Apple Music record. This is apparently a record that "no artist has ever come near."
Sources with direct knowledge tell TMZ ... Ye's album event this past week at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta broke the Apple Music Global Livestream record ... with 3.3 million viewers who tuned in on their screens.
The prior record was 1.8 million viewers for a Verzuz battle between Gucci Mane and Jeezy that was livestreamed last year.

Apple streamed the album's debut from the Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, Georgia, and the event was highlighted in a Beats Studio Buds ad that aired during the NBA finals.

Kanye West's "Donda" album has not yet been released, but it is expected to come out on August 6. The livestream of the album's debut is expected to be available on Apple Music after the album drops.

Article Link: Kanye West's 'Donda' Album Debut Breaks Apple Music Livestream Record

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

TheYayAreaLiving

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 18, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
Don't try to understand it – they clearly listen to music that we could only dream of. It must be so underground that we'd be lucky to hear it ourselves in the next 10 years. I'm just thrilled we came across such a visionary of musical curation – and on a Monday, at that!
Hate him or love him. He does make great music. I'm not a big fan of Kanye but I do respect his work. It's very creative.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2019
proving once again the mainstream populous has horrid taste in music...
The music I still listen to was mainstream at some point in history (I'm an early 80's and early 90's alt/punk/metal/grunge/rock fan). I'm also non-white, which makes it jarring for many Americans of different backgrounds to see someone who looks like me not listening to Kanye but instead wearing a Tool shirt or listening to Mastodon or Black Flag when I roll up to the drive-thru window.

I remember a concert-going kid in the Metallica documentary for the Black Album stating: "Every generation will scorn the next, and their music". It struck me when I heard it back then.

Lately there isn't a day that goes by when I don't think about how wise and prophetic that statement was.

I say let the kids have and enjoy their music.

There's still folks around, both young and old, making "ours".

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Marketing to the fullest. This guy is a genius. Breaking records over here.

One finger... one piano note...

He does play the song eventually. But yeah, he's a marketing AND producing/mixing genius. I'm reminded of him doing the Otis track in 20 minutes...

macsound1

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
"Every generation will scorn the next, and their music".
The crazy thing is how many people completely appreciate the music of the past, including before we were born.
I mean, tons of people love swing, big band, jazz, old R&B, some people can even stomach country, but so much modern music doesn't have a tinge of anything appealing.
Since we're being philosophical...

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68020
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Marketing to the fullest. This guy is a genius. Breaking records over here.

One finger... one piano note...

While I don't listen to Kanye enough (or at all) to know the significance of that one note, that edge-of-seat anticipation reminds me of this mid-song moment in a tune called "Divided Sky," where guitarist Trey Anastasio (Phish) delays playing the next note in the melody - a delay that, over the years, has grown to as long as ~2:45 (give or take), whipping the crowd into a frenzy with each silent second. Triggers the French composer Claude Debussy's famous quote: "Music is the space between the notes" - a line Miles Davis would make famous many decades later. Both Kanye and Trey appear to leverage this silence as a fun way of inviting the audience to truly listen - a critical skill on the brink of extinction.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2019
The crazy thing is how many people completely appreciate the music of the past, including before we were born.
I mean, tons of people love swing, big band, jazz, old R&B, some people can even stomach country, but so much modern music doesn't have a tinge of anything appealing.
This Kanye release broke records. Millions of people...

Personally, I don't think these are all "kids".

As a "foreigner" I can say that American music was not a priority until my teens.

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68020
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
You can't deny he still does numbers – it was why Apple gave him the platform in the first place, can't forget that. I think Apple would support a lot more music marketing like this but not many command his type of attention but there's still enough to put more on display.
Yep, straight data - dude got some serious eyeballs. Period.

steevn

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2016
proving once again the mainstream populous has horrid taste in music...
What specifically did you not like about it?

As a side note, all of the “greatest” in history have all been mainstream at some point. Are the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Tool, Kendrick Lamar, Dr Dre etc horrid because they had a time of mainstream?

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68020
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO

I hear you and went through a phase where I shared that perspective. But I think it's more "get off my lawn" than accurate. And I say that as one predisposed to "get off my lawn"ery.

Quick background: I grew up in the mid-70s and 80s. My musical intuition was sparked by my mother, whose eclectic mix of 50s, 60s and 70s music, from Elvis to Hendrix to The Beatles (McCartney was her fav) to CCR to Zeppelin to Sly and the Family Stone to Beach Boys to Simon and Garfunkle to Isaac Hayes to Willie Nelson to John Denver to Sam Cooke and to Aretha Franklin to Al Green to Johnny Cash to - you name it - created a phenomenal and diverse foundation from which to go out on my own. By the time I started making my own musical choices, I was exploring Michael Jackson, Beastie Boys, Black Sabbath, Talking Heads, Can, Phish, jazz, funk, etc., as well as deeper dives into the soundtrack of my youth. This helped nurture and grow an incredible sonic vocabulary for which I am forever grateful.

Fast-forward to this post: The past few years, I participate in weekly (at best) Vinyl Nights with some other music nerds. We take turns spinning one side of a record, with the goal of hopefully turning others on to something new-to-them. One thing we like to do is try and guess the year the album was released based solely on listening. Several times, I have been pleasantly surprised to learn that what I was certain was a 1972 release was actually a 2017 release. A realization that always blows my mind, yielding the stupidest grin. My music discovery arsenal consists of vinyl night + Apple Music + public radio. This trifecta has seen me reconnect with music with a depth I thought was a thing of the past. Long story short - I'm here to say that music is as alive and well as it's ever been. Is there stuff I prefer more than others? Of course. Same as it ever was. But I do think some of the music being written, produced, recorded, and distributed today, is as vibrant and powerful as any of the tried and true "classics." FWIW. ;)

quatermass

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2009
“I don’t like him, so therefore I’m right and everyone else is wrong. Also, I have no concept of how opinions work” Narcissistic much? Lmao
Opinions - everyone believes they have a right to express their opinion and have others listen to it. Actually, everyone has a right to their opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be completely ignored and made fun of, particularly when it's demonstrably nonsense.
That is how opinions work. Opinions are not facts. They are not objective.
Music, and people's tastes in music, completely conforms to Sturgeons Law. Google it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.