Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whitewings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
I'm trying to find an implementation of Karel the Robot that I can use for the course in programming methodologies I'm taking through iTunes U. I have the Eclipse environment, but the only installation how-to for any implementation of Karel is Windows based, and just plain not working for me. I have OS X 10.10 and the Eclipse Jave development environment.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I've never heard of Karel the Robot before and had to look it up. It sounds nearly identical to LOGO to me. There's an implementation of LOGO that comes with a standard install of Python, which comes preinstalled on OS X.

I can tell you more about it if you're interested, but honestly, you're probably too old for a language like this. These languages are designed to teach programming to get people who don't have a good grasp on English yet. You can teach a four year old to program with these simple languages. Once you're 8 or so, I don't see the point. Skip to a more complete, and useful, language.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.