Kares broken imac27

Discussion in 'iMac' started by swashmucklers, Jan 20, 2016.

1. swashmucklers macrumors newbie

Our imac was bught new in 2010 and has had NO cleaning or special services from Apple peaple....its a great machine !!!
    However its now starting to get too slow and bog down...can or should I be in the market for a Mac keeper program and or virus program..
    Today we installed Silverlight but still cant get it to run at all!!!

2. r6mile macrumors 6502

Which model is this? I have a 21.5 2010 iMac, and after upgrading the RAM to 8GB and putting in an SSD it runs very well.

3. page404 macrumors regular

page404

I'd start with a drive wipe and fresh install of the OS. Probably fixes most of your problems, if not all. And r6mile's suggestion is a good one too.

4. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

That's the worst you can do and will slow down your Mac much more also Mac Keeper is Malware!

5. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

MacKeepr basically is malware... A fresh install of OS X could be a good start

6. macthefork macrumors 6502

You can see what might be slowing the iMac down by opening Activity Monitor in Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor. See if there's anything in there hogging the CPU. Also select the Memory button and see how much, if any memory swap is used. If swap shows any usage, this can slow down your iMac and suggests more memory could help.

Also, how full is the Hard Disk Drive? A near full disk drive can slow things down. A six year old original HDD could start showing signs of failure, too. To check for hardware problems perform a Apple Hardware Test. AHT should be included on your second install disk that came with your iMac. You can read about performing the Apple Hardware Test here.

Never use MacKeeper. If you have, that very well could be the culprit.