Kaspersky vs Norton/Symantec

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by southerndoc, Jul 13, 2017.

1. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Any opinions on which internet security version is better: Kaspersky or Symantec?

I had Kaspersky installed last year, but found it to be buggy. I reinstalled it recently, but battery life was being eaten up.

Does anyone know if Symantec's product has the same effect on battery life and performance?

2. 960design macrumors 68020

3. southerndoc thread starter macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I thought Windows Defender sucked? I'm tempted to uninstall it from my Win 10 machine that I use at work for dictations (Dragon MPE).

4. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Have you tried the ESET Cyber Security Pro suite?

Cheers

5. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

I installed avast antivirus,and I also use a hardware firewall to protect my entire home network. Except that,I also use gatekeeper for my MacBook,and f-secure for phones and tablets. I know that no antivirus give 100 percent protection,but most of them stops the more common viruses,and makes it a bit more difficult for hackers to get access to the system. I'm not sure if I just been lucky this far,or if I'm not enough interesting,but still,I used the Internet since 1995,and never spotted any serious damage caused by hackers or viruses,all I found this far,is malware and bloat ware.

6. 960design macrumors 68020

That was certainly true a few years ago. I believe is was called Essentials would score below 0 ( zero ) in many tests. Defender started out quite poorly ( makes sense, as it evolved from Essentials ), but has recently done fairly well.

Certainly one can look up where this named antivirus destroyed it in a specific test. Most of the computer viruses are installed by ignorant users, not due to a failed antivirus solution. A prudent user with a little bit of phish awareness can safely navigate the shoreline of the internet with little fear.

Overall, I believe Defender is certainly not a bad choice for a Window10 user, and is what I have used for the last couple of years. Me = Windows Insider Program as well as Apple Developer.

7. campyguy macrumors 68040