Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that Katherine Adams will join Apple as General Counsel and Senior Vice President of Legal and Global Security this year. She will serve as the chief lawyer of Apple's legal department and report to Apple CEO Tim Cook.

katherine-adams-bruce-sewell-800x448.jpg
Katherine Adams, left, will replace Bruce Sewell as Apple's general counsel

Adams will replace Bruce Sewell, who has served as Apple's general counsel since 2009 and will be retiring at the end of the year.

Apple's general counsel oversees all legal matters, including corporate governance, intellectual property, litigation and securities compliance, global security, and privacy, according to Sewell's executive bio.

Cook said Adams is a "seasoned leader with outstanding judgment" in her field. He also offered best wishes to Sewell.
We are thrilled to welcome Kate to our team. She's a seasoned leader with outstanding judgment and that has worked on a wide variety of legal cases globally. Throughout her career she's also been an advocate on many of the values we at Apple hold dear.

Bruce has our best wishes for his retirement, after eight years of dedicated service to Apple and a tremendously successful career. He has tirelessly defended our IP, our customers' right to privacy and our values. Bruce has set a new standard for general counsels, and I am proud to have worked with him and proud to call him a friend.
Adams said "it's an honor" to join Apple.
Apple has had a tremendous impact on the world and it's an honor to join their team. I'm excited to help Apple continue to grow and evolve around the world, protecting their ideas and IP, and defending our shared values.
Sewell said the eight years he spent working at Apple have been the "most gratifying" of his entire career.
To have worked with this amazing executive team and all the incredibly smart people at Apple, especially my colleagues in legal and global security, has been the honor of a lifetime. The years I have spent in this job have been the most gratifying of my career. I'm delighted Kate is joining and I know she will be a huge asset.
Adams was most recently senior vice president and general counsel of Honeywell, where she had worked since 2003. Prior to then, she was a partner at New York law firm Sidley Austin LLP. She has also served as a law clerk for the U.S. Supreme Court and as a trial attorney for the U.S. Department of Justice.

Sewell maintained a quiet presence until last year, when he came into the spotlight twice during Apple's separate battles with the FBI and Spotify.

Article Link: Katherine Adams to Become Apple's New General Counsel as Bruce Sewell Set to Retire This Year

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016

Apple today announced that Katherine Adams, formerly senior vice president and general counsel of Honeywell, will join Apple as general counsel and senior vice president of Legal and Global Security, reporting to CEO Tim Cook and serving on Apple's executive team.

katherine-adams.jpg

The company also announced Bruce Sewell, who has served as Apple's general counsel since 2009, will be retiring at the end of the year.More details to follow...

Article Link: Katherine Adams Named Apple's General Counsel and SVP as Bruce Sewell Set to Retire

Good show, Bruce.

Reactions: The Barron

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Fresh perspectives are great and all, but seems to me this position would be better filled from within rather than someone with no experience with Apple's IP.
Quote: "We are thrilled to welcome Kate to our team. She's a seasoned leader with outstanding judgment and that has worked on a wide variety of legal cases globally. Throughout her career she's also been an advocate on many of the values we at Apple hold dear......Adams was most recently senior vice president and general counsel of Honeywell, where she had worked since 2003. Prior to then, she was a partner at New York law firm Sidley Austin LLP. She has also served as a law clerk for the U.S. Supreme Court and as a trial attorney for the U.S. Department of Justice".

You don't believe all that makes her very well qualified? Not doubting for a moment Tim (with the assistance of Bruce and the legal team), took a long, hard, and thorough look at all the available talent before finalizing his decision.

Additionally, Apple is probably determined not to make another 'John Browett' mistake.

deanthedev

Suspended
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver
“Sewell came into the spotlight twice last year during Apple's separate battles with the FBI and Spotify.”

Replace FBI and Spotify with “whiners” and you’d be dead on.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Honeywell!? I'm not sure if there is a more messed up company when it comes to government sub-contractor management. I personally know a lot of people that couldn't be happier that they don't work for Honeywell anymore, and several that wish they didn't. This should be fun.

maverick2007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Good! Give her free Emoji phone as new joiner gift, she will be thrilled with how much innovation went into eMoji ;)

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Bruce was the best. Thanks for all the years Bruce. I don't blame you for cashing out before 12/31/17. I'm sure Bruce had input on his replacement, so we can stop the gender comments. :apple:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Lawyers are sometimes a necessity but it doesn't mean I will ever like or respect the position.

I think I would rather read articles about Samsung than articles about Apple lawyers :).

Reactions: NMBob

Urban Joe

Suspended
Mar 19, 2012
I’m not convinced there not one and the same. This is SJW Apple and CA we’re talking about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.