Kavaj Hamburg Review

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ElDogman, May 18, 2012.

1. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

I'll upload a video review later once I'm done editing it but here's a photo review

Front
    [​IMG]
    front by ElDogMan, on Flickr

Its a nice leather front with the Kavaj brand on the bottom corner. Really nice feeling leather, leather smell, none of that semi-toxic stuff associated with some of the other folios out there. The Hamburg comes in three colors. Black or Brown (Cognac), this one is quite obviously the cognac version.

Back
    [​IMG]
    back by ElDogMan, on Flickr

The back also has a tab for you to fold the cover back and create two different angles which you'll see later, similar to Apple's iPad 1 case, Yoobao executive leather case, and Maroo cases. While this is a folio with stand features, its nice to see this option, which creates a few more viewing angles. The only other standing folio I've seen incorporating this is the Belkin Cinema Folio series.
    Some of the sides are exposed such as the ipad dock connector and mute button, however others are covered such as the volume controls. The covered areas had no issues, it was easy to adjust the sound or turn on the iPad. The covered speaker area however, does muffle sound slightly. its not very muffled but it is a noticeable change.
    Secondly some of the cut outs are not aligned perfectly, which might be an issue for some. For example the camera hole.

[​IMG]
    top by ElDogMan, on Flickr

As you can see from the top view, the holes are aligned well. it may be an issue for some types of headphone jacks. What's not easily seen in this picture are some loose fibers from the stitching. Its generally stitched well but there's some tiny fibers sticking out. The lid is a bit loose and like many folios of this kind that lack a latch or magnetic enclosure, the auto on/off can be accidentally triggered

Sides
    [​IMG]
    sides by ElDogMan, on Flickr

This is the left side. While the right side is nearly completely enclosed, the left side has two gaps which expose the iPad's corners.

Inside
    [​IMG]
    inside by ElDogMan, on Flickr

The inside is covered by what appears to be suede. Its soft and nice. On the left, you have three angles. the three strips serve as a stop that prevents the case from moving so you won't have to worry about it losing its position. on the right, the iPad is inserted into a rather tight fitting enclosure that's secured by a long velcro strip

Bookmode
    [​IMG]
    bookmode by ElDogMan, on Flickr

You can fully fold the cover back and use it in a book mode. No worries about the magnets accidentally turning the screen off. (and for that matter auto on/off works)

Angles
    There's 5 angles you can achieve.. although it could've potentially had six
    [​IMG]
    angles by ElDogMan, on Flickr

You have the three angles you can use in stand mode. Unlike other folios, the angles as you incline further, change quite a bit. Since this folio is very light and floppy, there's no strong support to keep it up right, so the elevated strips serve a key function in keeping the case at those designated angles.

As mentioned earlier, you could fold the cover back and tuck it in the flap on the back of the case to create two more angles. The problem is.. as I mentioned, this is a very light and soft case, so the "landscape" view is not usable because the weight of the ipad would make it fall down. You can still use the typing angle.
    I also found another typing angle you could use where you bend and fold the cover into the back of the case, so the interior is not touching the surface.. for those of you who are concerned about it

Other notes
    I must mention this folio is very very light. I can't remember what the exact weight was, but it was around 150 grams, which is lighter than the Yoobao.
    However the trade off is protection, you won't get much as its pretty thin, and the corners are exposed.

2. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

That case looks too "warn in" for me. Naked is the way to go. People think any Idevice has to have a case

3. GerritV macrumors 65816

GerritV

I'm with the "warn in", but would perhaps call it "artisanal" - which some could consider a good thing, style-wise.
    The inside of the front cover: is it leather/suede, and does it somehow keep the screen clean like Apple's smart cover material does?

@john: naked (i.e. The iPad) is not the ideal way to go for people on the move, I think.

4. ElDogman thread starter macrumors 6502

ElDogman

Suede.. and i don't think its that great at keeping the screen clean because the way the landscape stands protrude out as well as the sides of the case, keeps the front cover not directly touching the screen.