Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
71yLkro%2B1kL._SX425_.jpg

Anyone get theirs yet? Mine is scheduled for delivery Monday.

BJ

jaydee24601

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Mine JUST arrived -- I’ll let you know how good it is (or not) after I use it for a bit. There is a considerable lip that blocks the touchdown of the Smart Cover to the face of the touchscreen. I’m not sure how if bothers me or not ...

Last edited:

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
Mine just arrived today too. I ordered the Smoked color. It fits well and looks great on the Space Gray Air 2 with the red Smart Cover. All buttons function well and all cutouts line up fine. It does have a lip around the edge, but I would think that has to be there to hold it on. It really doesn't seem to interfere with the Smart Cover much or keep it from closing well, especially when it's laying flat. I'm using the Smart Cover for the Air 1 ($19.50 from Staples). I think I read somewhere that someone thought the Air 1 version was a little heavier and laid flatter more easily than the one Apple now labels as being for the Air 2, but who knows. I do know that I like this combo right now. It keeps the Air 2 thin and fairly light, and I can rip off the Smart Cover when I want to. I also bought the Luvvitt version of this case earlier. It's similar, but this one from Kayscase seems to fit tighter (a good thing), and I like the color much better. I'll post pics later of the Kayscase.

jaydee24601

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
I just tried my iPad Air 1 Smart Cover with my new Kayscase and iPad Air 2, and the cover works SO nicely with it (better than the new white Smart Cover that I just purchased)!

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
So there IS a little difference between the Air 1 & 2 versions of the Smart Cover... Glad I mentioned that if that helped someone. My Air 1 version works fine with this back cover. Here's a few pics of the Kayscase back cover installed. Kudos to Kayscase for not putting ugly branding on the back (at least on mine):

Attachments

• IMG_3218.jpg
    IMG_3218.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_3219.jpg
    IMG_3219.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_3221.jpg
    IMG_3221.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_3223.jpg
    IMG_3223.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_3224.jpg
    IMG_3224.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 462

jaydee24601

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Some pics of mine ... I’m liking it A LOT!

Attachments

• five.jpg
    five.jpg
    951.6 KB · Views: 406
  • four.jpg
    four.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 583
  • three.jpg
    three.jpg
    1,015 KB · Views: 480
  • two.jpg
    two.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 432
  • one.jpg
    one.jpg
    975.4 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
Thanks for the pics to all.

I'm not liking that lip on the lower left particularly. I can't see how the Smart Cover would lie flat atop it.

BJ

Here's a side view with the cover closed. My Smart Cover (Air 1 version) does lay flat, even with the lip:

Attachments

• Photo Nov 01, 9 48 21 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 01, 9 48 21 PM.jpg
    651.9 KB · Views: 458

Mojer

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
Here's a side view with the cover closed. My Smart Cover (Air 1 version) does lay flat, even with the lip:

How much bulk does this add to the amazingly thin Air 2? I was going to wait for Moshi to come out with their Versacover but I am thinking more about this exact setup. You can't beat the price, but I am willing to pay a little more if it means adding less bulk. Thanks!

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
Mine just arrived today too. I ordered the Smoked color. It fits well and looks great on the Space Gray Air 2 with the red Smart Cover. All buttons function well and all cutouts line up fine. It does have a lip around the edge, but I would think that has to be there to hold it on. It really doesn't seem to interfere with the Smart Cover much or keep it from closing well, especially when it's laying flat. I'm using the Smart Cover for the Air 1 ($19.50 from Staples). I think I read somewhere that someone thought the Air 1 version was a little heavier and laid flatter more easily than the one Apple now labels as being for the Air 2, but who knows. I do know that I like this combo right now. It keeps the Air 2 thin and fairly light, and I can rip off the Smart Cover when I want to. I also bought the Luvvitt version of this case earlier. It's similar, but this one from Kayscase seems to fit tighter (a good thing), and I like the color much better. I'll post pics later of the Kayscase.

Thanks for comparing with the LUVVITT Dolce, I actually have that one now but am ordering the KAYSCASE. How does the lip on the KAYSCASE compare to the LUVVITT? I found it was a bit too raised for my tastes, and it's too loose where the lightning port is at the bottom of the iPad, so whenever I have it standing up in landscape using the smart cover, and go to grab it from the right side, Im constantly pulling the lip off because it's so loose in that area. I'm hoping the KAYSCASE will be a tighter fit and won't have this issue.

Last edited:

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
It's a pity it's not available in the UK. Nor is the Luvitt. I want a clear case for the back of my iPad Air 2 but can't find anything available over here. The only option seems to be the Boxwave which is releasing next Friday. None of the bigger brands like Incipio, Speck, PowerSupport or Belkin have anything right now.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
Thanks for comparing with the LUVVITT Dolce, I actually have that one now but am ordering the KAYSCASE. How does the lip on the KAYSCASE compare to the LUVVITT? I found it was a bit too raised for my tastes, and it's too loose where the lightning port is at the bottom of the iPad, so whenever I have it standing up in landscape using the smart cover, and go to grab it from the right side, Im constantly pulling the lip off because it's so loose in that area. I'm hoping the KAYSCASE will be a tighter fit and won't have this issue.

After using the Kayscase some today, I discovered the same thing about it. The case is pretty loose around the lightning port and speakers. It doesn't affect the appearance, but it is annoying when you try to grab it there. Hope that helps...

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
I received my "Clear" Kayscase iPad Air 2 back shell on Saturday. It is just OK.

Pros:
1. It fits reasonably well overall.
2. It doesn't have any tacky company logos on it.

Cons:
1. It is frosted, not really clear. It makes the gold iPad look more silver than gold.
2. The cut-outs for the speakers and lightning port at the bottom of the shell make the lip of the shell below the home button so thin that it flops out at the slightest pressure. The case desperately needs some reinforcement at the lip, because when you hold the case in landscape mode with the home button on the right, the lip pushes away from the iPad under your finger. It is annoying.

John

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
After using the Kayscase some today, I discovered the same thing about it. The case is pretty loose around the lightning port and speakers. It doesn't affect the appearance, but it is annoying when you try to grab it there. Hope that helps...

I received my "Clear" Kayscase iPad Air 2 back shell on Saturday. It is just OK.

2. The cut-outs for the speakers and lightning port at the bottom of the shell make the lip of the shell below the home button so thin that it flops out at the slightest pressure. The case desperately needs some reinforcement at the lip, because when you hold the case in landscape mode with the home button on the right, the lip pushes away from the iPad under your finger. It is annoying.

John

I have the same issue on my LUVVIT Dolce. I should be getting the KAYSCASE this week so I'll see which one has a tighter fit in that area. I generally like soft cases but in this case I will probably swap out for a hard shell once a good one comes out.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Thoughts on the Kayscase:

I'm impressed by the mix of thin hard TPU (back cover) and thicker softer TPU (edges) which gives a really nice feel in the hand.

I'm relieved that the clear frosted version matches my Space Grey so well; I thought for a bit that I should have gone with the darker frost and am glad I didn't.

Something that's really nice about this case is that when the light catches it just right the bright polished steel bezel of the iPad shines straight through nicely, looks really sharp.

My Apple Smart Cover is for the Air 1 because I wanted the deep black, you can see it clearly here. It also (apparently) lies flat whereas the Smart Cover for the Air 2 does not.

Yes, the TPU by the speakers and lightning port is very loose and is a concern, but I'm careful and it won't be too much of a bother methinks.

The downside, and it's a big one for me, is that when the iPad is open and in use the lip is substantial and the milky clear doesn't look good against the black glossy screen.

All in all it's worth the $15. I'll probably use it as a backup down the road as I still want a black rubber paint back shell, but for now it's a life saver as I can use my iPad normally again and not baby it.

BJ

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Awesome pics, BJ! Is that a first or second generation Smart Cover?

Thanks, the iPhone 6 takes great photos.

That's a first generation iPad Air Smart Cover on the Air 2 as it's the deep black version, this years new "black" is really grey.

Last years model # is MF053LL/A (Dark Black)
This years model # is MGTM2ZM/A (Really Gray)

BJ

jagfan

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
JAX, FL area
Thoughts on the Kayscase:

I'm impressed by the mix of thin hard TPU (back cover) and thicker softer TPU (edges) which gives a really nice feel in the hand.

I'm relieved that the clear frosted version matches my Space Grey so well; I thought for a bit that I should have gone with the darker frost and am glad I didn't.

Something that's really nice about this case is that when the light catches it just right the bright polished steel bezel of the iPad shines straight through nicely, looks really sharp.

My Apple Smart Cover is for the Air 1 because I wanted the deep black, you can see it clearly here. It also (apparently) lies flat whereas the Smart Cover for the Air 2 does not.

Yes, the TPU by the speakers and lightning port is very loose and is a concern, but I'm careful and it won't be too much of a bother methinks.

The downside, and it's a big one for me, is that when the iPad is open and in use the lip is substantial and the milky clear doesn't look good against the black glossy screen.

All in all it's worth the $15. I'll probably use it as a backup down the road as I still want a black rubber paint back shell, but for now it's a life saver as I can use my iPad normally again and not baby it.

BJ

I also received my clear Kayscase yesterday and have to echo BJ's assessment. Overall I'm very pleased and don't think the thinness of the TPU near the speakers will be a problem for me. My air 2 is silver/white with a white smart cover. The combo looks stunning and the air 2 feels great in my hands. Using the air 2 naked was bothersome to me. It was too thin and just didn't feel comfortable. Now it's nearly perfect.

I noted some folks are having issues with the newer smart covers lying flat. I'm not having the problem with my white cover.

krizko

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
Decided to go with this case to accompany a Green Air (1) Smart Cover.

Was torn between this and the LUVVIT case. Fingers crossed this was the right choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.