KB and Trackpad not working after iLife update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spetykowski, Mar 26, 2009.

1. spetykowski macrumors member

I'm not sure how this happened.. But my Keyboard and trackpad had been working normally since I purchased my Macbook Pro Late 2008 back in January, and today suddenly stopped working after I installed the new iLife updates.

Has anyone been experiencing these problems or know of any insight to help fix this problem?

Thanks.

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

3. spetykowski thread starter macrumors member

Just tried that. With no such luck.

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

hmm. your pretty limited with what you can do considering you dont have a keyboard and mouse huh. do external mice and keyboards work?

5. spetykowski thread starter macrumors member

Yeah i have an external KB and mouse, If i can get them connected what can I do from there?

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i would say try and go back to the previous version of iLife somehow to see if thats what is causing it. do you use timemachine?

7. spetykowski thread starter macrumors member

Dang, yeah use timemachine. But bad news. I have a USB apple mouse and keyboard, and both are unresponsive at the moment. The os seems to be working correctly. It shows the login screen with a pulsing text bracket waiting for me to put my password in.

Ugh looks like I might have to go to the apple
    store tommorrow.

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

if you have the time you could do an archive and install of the os.

9. spetykowski thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all your help, ViciousShadow21, But i'm real close to an apple store so i think itll be easier to just bring it to them. Thank you again.

10. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

sure thing man. goodluck tomorrow.

11. xplocvo macrumors member

Did you end up taking it in today? I have the same problem. I told the computer to restart for the update, then I went to bed. This morning I went to the computer, tried to wake it from sleep, but it wouldn't respond. I turned it off by holding the power button, and back on. Now my keyboard and trackpad are not responding at all. I tried resetting the PRAM and SMC on mine, and also plugged in a USB mouse and that didn't work either. While at the login window, if I press the power button I get the window to appear for Restart / Shutdown / etc, so the OS is responding.

Wondering what the solution was for you. I may just restore the last SuperDuper image I made a few weeks ago and hope that does the trick.

12. spetykowski thread starter macrumors member

Everything you metion, exactly relates to the issues that I was having. No responce from USB or Bluetooth mice and keyboard, as well as the OS responding when hitting the power button.

Yeah I took it in and they were able to fix it. It seemed to have corrupted the os for some reason.. The Genius booted using the OSX install disc, and was able to do a reinstall to address the problem.

We took many steps and that was the only way to fix it. Restting PRAM, fixing disc premissions would not fix this problem. She also told me that I could have restored from my last time machine backup, but since I was at the store I just had her reinstall the OS with no data loss. Everything worked after that, just all your application permissions and notifiers are reset.

13. xplocvo macrumors member

That was the Archive & Install function, yeah? I have never done that before, but I guess I will be trying it out tonight. ;)

14. spetykowski thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it was the Archive and Install, like ViciousShadow21 had mentioned. It worked flawlessly.