Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
How about this os? It looks a bit more advanced from what osx is and maybe leopard will have some of these interesting features:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz_2.../16/the-ultimate-gui-vista-or-macos-x-or.html

I was reading up on other os's such as ubuntu and ran across this one. What do you all think? Does anyone actually have KDE (i think thats what it is)?

EDIT: I think it may be Xgl

KDE is a windows environment, and the 3D effect in that video is not limited to KDE, they are pretty much separate issues. 3D effects under linux is very nice, very flexible and very customizable, yet, its not super stable.

leopard sure would enhance this sort of eye candy (since its a major attraction of OSX after all), but i doubt apple would make it as flexible and customizable, or offer as much features, as in linux, after all, apple need to pay 10x more attention to the stability and consider the different user base as linux distroes.
It's called excessive and annoying eye candy.
obviously thats personal preferences, OP apparently likes it.

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
How about this os? It looks a bit more advanced from what osx is and maybe leopard will have some of these interesting features:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz_2.../16/the-ultimate-gui-vista-or-macos-x-or.html

I was reading up on other os's such as ubuntu and ran across this one. What do you all think? Does anyone actually have KDE (i think thats what it is)?

EDIT: I think it may be Xgl

KDE is a Window Manager and collection of utilities and applications which sits on top of an OS. While, it's certainly an improvement from the "old" X11 window managers, I don't know if I would assert that it is more advanced than the windowing capabilities and applications that Mac OS X provides.

My personal feeling is that KDE is gimmicky and unpolished, and I have replaced it with the much simpler (and less distracting) XFCE on my one Ubuntu linux box.

But to each his own, so feel free to enjoy it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.