Keep 13" 2012 MacBook Pro or exchange for base model 13" MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mnsportsgeek, Jun 19, 2012.

?

Keep 13" MBP or exchange for 13" MBA

Poll closed Jun 24, 2012.
  1. Keep 13" MBP 2012

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. Exchange for 13" MBA 2012

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. mnsportsgeek, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Hello everyone,

Let me start off by saying I purchased the 13" MacBook Pro last Monday because I had been using a broken 15" 2008 MacBook Pro for the last 6 months so I was eager to get rid of that thing.

I have been using the 13" for the last week and I gotta say that I really do like it. I love the 13" screen size as opposed to the larger footprint of the 15", and it gives me a good excuse to utilize the full screen apps more with the 13".

Here's the thing though, I'm wondering if I should exchange it (within 14 day period) for a base model 13" MacBook Air. The Powernap feature in Mountain Lion is very intriguing to me, and I've heard that a MacBook air will run significantly faster than a MacBook Pro in day to day tasks. All I use my computer for is internet browsing, writing papers, iTunes, and iPhoto with the occasional game (Might give Diablo 3 a try, but I prefer consoles for my gaming fix).

Back to Powernap, I'm concerned that Apple will start coming out with features that utilize their SSD's and no moving parts laptop configurations, PowerNap being the first of them. I'm not really comfortable with having a laptop that purchased a week ago already being left out of features.

The other thing I'm concerned about is future proofing. I would like this thing to last me around 4 or 5 years. I'm confident that I can get my MacBook Pro to last that long because in a couple years I'll be able to throw in an SSD and upgrade to 16Gb ram and be good for a couple more years. Unfortunately that is not possible with the MacBook Air. Is this a big deal? Will the MacBook Air need to be upgraded in 2 or 3 years versus the 4 or 5 I could get out of my MacBook Pro?

Also, my current MacBook Pro backup size is around 130 GB, I know I will have a 128 GB SSD in the MacBook Air (the upgraded model is not an option money wise for me). However, alot of this space is video podcasts, and iOS applications that just sit there so I think I can get rid of them. However, I plan on getting a USB powered external HDD with USB 3.0 to store alot of my videos and such. Is this a logical move?

Thanks for all your help, and sorry for the length. I just want to make the right decision.

Edit: I should also add that I don't care at all about the Optical Disc. The sooner that is gone the better.

2. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

If you can live with 128gb of internal storage, the MBA is definitely the way to go. It will be noticeably faster in day-to-day tasks and it is more portable than the 13" MBP. It's a much better value than the 13" MBP at the exact same price point.

3. biohead macrumors 6502

I'd agree - I'd definitely opt for the Air if I were in your shoes. Although I'd probably up the RAM to 8GB for future usage.

4. mnsportsgeek, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess that's the biggest question mark. Can anyone who has a MBA combined with external HDD chime in? How many headaches does it cause? With USB 3.0 I'm assuming transfer rates shouldn't be an issue

5. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

Also, does anyone have any insight as far us this being able to last me for 4 years. Will the 1.8 Ghz CPU be worthy enough for 4 years? I'm not one to upgrade a computer every 2 years.

6. Mizzou02RS macrumors member

I'd keep what you have. It's a great machine and if you choose to, you can always install upgrades on it in the future, something you cannot do with the Air.

7. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

like i said though, i'm not really comfortable with apple releasing a software update for my 2 week old computer that has features that i can't use. They are clearly trying to get people away from the legacy MacBook Pros in my opinion.

The upgrades i would consider to my macbook pro in the future would be 8gb of ram (which i can get today with the air) and an SSD (which the air already has). I think i'm leaning towards the exchange.

8. jmjava macrumors newbie

i just got my 2012 13" MBP and absolutely love it. I was unsure like you if I would want to trade for the 13" MBA but after having the MBP, I am sold. For the environments that I go into, it gives me peace of minde with the solid framework of the unibody design. I also read in another post that on a university campus that MBA's by far had the highest rate of repairs between the two. So unless the weight is a significant issue I say keep what you got. It is a nice machine! :D

9. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

Let me ask this question, if i were to put an SSD in my macbook pro. Which would be faster, the Macbook Pro or the air?

10. chrisab508 macrumors newbie

Am I missing something? I haven't seen anything that suggests that the Powernap feature will only work on the Airs. As far as I was concerned it should work on all the 2012 machines, at least that's the impression I got from various other tech blogs, like Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/apple-introduces-power-nap-updates-your-mac-while-its-sleeping/

11. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

It only works on 2nd generation and above airs and the retina macbook pro. Any other computers are out of luck.

12. Geo411m macrumors regular

The Pro is much faster, especially if you put the SSD in it. This if from experience having had both computers.

13. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

Well that just about settles it for me.