Keep 15" mid 2014 base model or replace with 13" Broadwell

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LMD75, Mar 12, 2015.

1. LMD75, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015

LMD75 macrumors 6502

I just ordered a 15" mid 2014 base model rMBP and also a 13" 2014 mid-tier.

With the release of the new Broadwell model I immediately returned the 13".

However I am now debating whether to keep hold of the 15" model or return it for a Broadwell 13" model.

I preferred the form factor of the 13" model as it was nicer to use on the couch for example. I also liked the battery life.

However the 15" had a better quality display in terms of the white point. It was brighter than the 13" model. It had double the RAM, quad-core, better integrated graphics than can output 4K at 60Hz.

However the new Broadwell 13" rMBP now has full 4K support at 60Hz and a better SSD than the current 15", updated trackpad with two hours better battery life.

As I prefer to use the Trackpad in "tap" mode the new Trackpad is not a deal breaker but I am concerned about the SSD.

So my question is will the Broadwell 13" model with a 256GB SSD and 8GB be faster in operation than the 15" model for boot-up times and general operation (excluding CPU intensive heavy graphics /video work)?

P.S. I have purchased the 15" model at the old price before the 250€ price increase.

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Most likely, the 15" with 16gb of memory will be slightly faster. But...you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

FWIW, you'll get less eye strain with the 15" than the 13".

3. uptempos macrumors member

I am in the same boat as you. I have two days to return my 15"

Things to also mention:
    For single threaded apps- the 13 will be slightly faster since its clocked at 2.7ghz..compared to 2.2

For quad apps (not sure which ones, more professional editting, etc), the quad core will be better.

SSD:
    -Let's be honest..will we able to really notice a difference?

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I did just the opposite last refresh.
    I dumped the 13 for the 15.
    Productivity for work dropped and the frustration of constantly switching windows just wore on me.
    the 15 provides adequate space for readable windows side by side.
    If the 15 inch is cancelled I will go back to a windows laptop.

If the 15 was refreshed with usb-c I would consider it but screen size is more important than dongles. JMO