Keep 17" 2.8 or return and wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by netdog, Jan 14, 2010.

?

Keep the 2.8 17" or return it today and wait for the new MBP

  1. Keep it. It works great and will last a very long time.

    15 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. Return it and wait for the new one. It will be a major bump and last far longer.

    8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  1. netdog macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #1
    I liked my partners 17" 2.8 so much that I got myself one two weeks ago.

    It is flawless. Great screen. Very lively performance. So the question is do I box it up today and return it (no restocking fee) and wait for the new one or just get on with it.

    Pros for returning:
    • Faster processor
    • Other new features?

    Cons of returning:
    • Risk Rev. A problems (versus an existing perfect machine)
    • Lack of real world benefits for my applications
    • The wait
    • The i7 in the 17" may be hotter than the rest of the lineup, and hence noisier (I hate noise)

    The heaviest lifting that I do is generally photo editing in Aperture and Photoshop CS3. Other than that, VMWare is always open running Windows, and I keep Safari, Mail, Skype, MSN Messenger and iTunes running all the time. Lots of iWeb work as well and numerous other apps that open and close.

    Am I really going to experience a difference with an Arrandale in my applications? Is there anything coming in the next few years that is going to demand the extra power of the Arrandale? Is it really more futureproof?

    At this point, my laptop is a dumb terminal most of the time connecting to mostly linux boxes via the Internet. For my needs, will my C2D be about as future-proof as the Arrandale or would I be making a big mistake not swapping? These machines aren't cheap so I do want it to last.

    Finally, how much of a Rev. A risk factor do you think there is with the new board and chipset coming? iMacs seem to have had a lot of problems, and the current generation of MBPs seems pretty much without any major issues.

    Reading the Arrandale threads and the Anandtech i5 review gives me a lot of theoreticals, but in the real world, is a faster more able processor going to really make such a difference? I am not experiencing a bottle neck in my 2.8 C2D processor at the moment.

    Thanks for your wisdom
     
  2. Pagga macrumors 6502

    Pagga

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2009
    Location:
    Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    #2
    If the i5 is indeed being introduced in "new" macbooks in San fran later this month, it´s going to be the most significant performance bost in a long while. We´ve been stuck with dual cores for some time now - and noramally I would advice agains witing to upgrade. This time, I think should wait if you can.

    cheers,
    P
     
  3. amorcito macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2010
    #3

    I'd say keep it. I was stuck with a similar situation.. My Macbook Pro 2.16 c2d got a replacement authorization for a 17" 2.8 umbp. I spent the last week debating on waiting or just accepting the 17". I just choose to select the 17" as the first revision always has issues, and those issues can be quite annoying as one must sit and wait for apple to release a fix. I would find myself hitting the check for updates button when that "moo" sound problem with the fans that was present in the MBP CD2's when they were released.

    The next revision will be out in Junish anyway, and hopefully the bugs will be ironed out.. ram will be cheaper, ssd will hopefully be cheaper and more reliable than 10k writes.. all these little issues I thought about.. Everyone always wants the latest and greatest right?

    Coming from a 2.16 c2d, the current 17" is fine for me. Good luck with your decision! You can always just resell that 17" when Rev b. is released.. Macs hold their value.. thankfully!
     
  4. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #4
    Keep it,

    You're happy with it, and there will always be a faster machine being released around the corner.

    I purchased an 08 MBP and I'm extremely content with the performance and quality.

    I'm sure you'll notice an uptick in performance on the arrandale machine but its anyone's call on how much.

    Another factor to consider, say apple does announce the new MBPs in a couple of weeks, there's no guarantee that they'll be available for sale immediately. You could be waiting several weeks. Plus as you mentioned, you'll be on the bleeding edge with a Rev A. machine.

    It's your money if you think there's value in returning the machine, do it, but I think the current models are more then up to snuff now and for the future.
     
  5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

    miniConvert

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    Location:
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    #5
    Keep it. You've got a machine that you're happy with, and it's going to last a long time.

    If you want, think of it this way; you've bought at the end of an architecture, so it's at its most refined point.
     
  6. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #6
    +1

    The defects/bugs have certainly been ironed out, who knows about the next refresh.
     
  7. foranor macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2009
    #7
    New tech is almost always more futureproof. It seems extremely unlikely the technology will ever go 'back' towards C2D tech.
    So yes.

    For your needs is difficult to answer. You say you do a lot of terminal connecting to linux boxes, so C2D or Arrandale won't make a difference. SSH connections don't get better with processing speed.
    The graphical applications benefit more from graphics processing than CPU, and..the graphics in any new MBP, if it even is announced anytime soon, which hasn't happened, unless you consider the rumor an announcement, has yet to be declared, so whether you'll get a noticable increase is more like reading tealeafs than even a rumor.

    This last is basically your own answer to your question.
     

Share This Page