Keep 18-105 or Sell and get 18-200

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bbadalucco, Oct 11, 2009.

1. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

Curious what everything thought of the Nikon 18-200 VR lens? I have the 18-105 that came with a D90 but was considering selling it and picking up the 18-200? Either that or I could keep it and get a 70-300 lens?

Just looking for some thoughts to push me in the right direction.

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

What are you wanting to take pictures of? The 18-200 is a nice comprehensive range. However, for me since I like to capture wildlife, I'd prefer the longer range over convenience and less mm. I use the 18-105/70-300 combo.

3. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

The 18-200 is a middle of the road/mediocre lens. For what it is, it's okay. I'd much rather have a couple nice primes instead.

4. dubels macrumors 6502

5. Alasta macrumors regular

Alasta

How often do you find yourself missing shots because the 18-105mm doesn't have enough reach, and you don't have time to change lenses?

I personally find that the 18-105mm is adequate for at least 90% of what I shoot, and the 55-200mm takes care of the rest, but there is no 'one size fits all' answer to questions like this.

6. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Depends what you want it for - I find I only ever use the 18-200 now but that's for travel photography where the need for convenience and the need to get a shot quickly with the minimum of fuss and without carrying too much gear outweighs absolute image quality. It's a very good lens for what it is, and very flexible. It's sharp enough on a D80. Chromatic aberration is fine. Geometric distortion could be improved, but it's no worse than other Nikon or Canon zooms with much smaller range that I have used in the past. VR works quite well in low light too. If you need/want to only carry one lens, it's a good choice IMO.

7. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

8. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

I think this is what you have to ask yourself.

I am not a reach photographer so personally I don't think it's worth spending $700 (or whatever it costs now) to buy a lens that for all intents and purposes doesn't "materially" improve your IQ or speed within the focal range you have now.

For what it worth, this has been discussed quite a bit on the dpreview.com forums.

9. ChrisA macrumors G4

Depending on what you want to shoot, I'd say either "yes", "no" or "it depends"

But one thing is pretty certain a "way slow" f/5.6 300mm lens will have rather limited application.

What you need to tell everyone here is the problem you want to solve and a budget

10. bbadalucco thread starter macrumors 6502

I just want the ability to have a greater zoom when I'm taking pictures of things further away (that I can't get to).

Honestly, it seems like i should keep the 18-105 and look into something with a further reach as well.

11. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

I use the 18-200 exclusively. It is good, versatile, and convenient. If I were a pro, had a lot more money, or liked to change lenses I might get several other lenses. Things being what they are, I wouldn't give up mine.

12. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Think about a used 180/2.8. They don't seem to be highly valued right now so they're going more cheaply than they're really worth. It's a truly remarkable lens.

13. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I wouldn't necessarily say the 300mm f5.6 is way slow, f5.6 works plenty fine in a lot of types of outdoor lighting. And not everyone shooting long is doing motorsports or wildlife.

14. cyantist macrumors newbie

I loved mine for the simple reason that I could just leave it on the camera for 95% of my shots.. It's not a fast lens, but it's a great for travel.. I'd take it over the 18-105 any day for the extra reach.. But it really depends on your needs.. The 18-200 is a great 'all-around' lens, and that's what makes it so useful.. It's more a 'convenience' lens than anything else IMO..

15. bbadalucco thread starter macrumors 6502

Everything I do for photography is just to learn and for fun...so having only a single lens would be nice...plus I'm not trying to sell my photos or anything.