Keep 2.4 GHz Penryn Macbook or upgrade to Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleFan360, Jun 12, 2009.

1. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Back in Feb 08 I purchased the 2.4 GHz Penryn Macbook and upgraded to 4GB of RAM. ( Original specs: $1299. Macbook 13" 2.4GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Super / White)

I'm looking closely at the new Macbook Pro line and drooling. I would really like to have the 13 or 15 inch model.

My question. Will I really see that much of a different in performance with the new MBP vs my old Macbook? I am interested in a performance and display quality boost. Is it worth the money?

I mainly do web surfing, e-mail and some HD video editing. Don't really care too much about screen size. Just want a better quality display.

Thanks.

2. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

I got to be honest with you. I came from the Penryn macbook pro and I feel that it is a superior machine except for battery life.

The glare is killing me, and I prefer the old-style keyboard. The battery life so far has not been a huge difference (30 min) despite a 20% bigger battery and integrated graphics. Hard to believe, I know. I may actually get the old style. The screen is not appreciably better in my opinion. Colors pop more, that's about it, but to me the old screens were already great. The new unibody is amazingly quiet, though. I've never heard the fan. Ever. Even while watching the Lakers game in HD through eye tv.

3. John89 macrumors regular

:D I will swap my Penryn for your unibody?

4. AppleFan360 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will head to the Apple store today to take a look. I just don't want to spend the money and find out that I will only have a small "bump" in performance.