Keep 2008 MacBook or trade for 2011 Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dmk1974, Apr 7, 2012.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I have a 2008 2.4 GHz MacBook MB403LL/A that works just fine. I also have an iPad 3 that I have been using quite a bit lately. I can trade in the 2008 MacBook at Best Buy for a GC that would almost entirely cover a base 2011 Mac Mini.

Should I keep pushing the old MacBook? Or trade for a Mini and then rely on the iPad for portable needs? Thanks!

2. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

The iPad is great but not yet quite a laptop replacement (yet) although it depends on what you want to do on the move if its send a few e-mail, browse the web, watch movies and play games then all you really need is an iPad but if you need to do office docs and use iWork/office then I would say stick to a mac but if you can get buy with just doing all your computing at home then a mini would do a fine job (bare in mind you need a mouse, keyboard and a screen to use a mini) Hope that all helps :)

3. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Thanks. I do have the peripherals already since I connect the MacBook to a 24" monitor when at my desk. Still thinking....power vs portability?

4. /user/me macrumors 6502

I sold my old unibody MacBook for a good amount of money to someone on this forum. You can still get a decent price for it, but it just goes down with time. You should act now. I replaced my MB with a 15 inch MBP and iPad because of what I do with it. I love the portability and access to power that I have. As long as you go apple, you can't go wrong :)

5. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

It all depends on what you do. If you value portability then keep your MB. However this is a pretty good deal. Its even better, if you don't mind working from a desk and already have all the peripherals ready to, that will save you a chunk of change. If it were my I would take the deal, your getting a great deal. The mini is an awesome machine and you will notice huge differences between the mini and your MB.

6. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Like Medic said
    You need to tell us what you do on the move and if it has to be done on the move if your simply taking your MacBook in and putting it on your desk and plugging in a screen and taking it home at the end of the day then a Mac mini is the way go. If you need to write lots of text and do spreadsheets on the move then keep the MacBook because the iPad won't live up to the MacBook for doing this kind of work.

7. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Well, I decided to trade in the MacBook. Got a $560 BB GC for it. Now need to find an open box Mac Mini at one of the local stores this week. Thanks for the advice!

8. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

No problem, good luck in your quest I hope you find one.

9. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Well, I haven't found an open box Mini just yet, but I see now that today or yesterday changed the Buyer's Guide for this from yellow to red "don't buy". Is an update really close? Or still gonna drag to June or so? I get 45 days to return to BB since I'm a RZ Silver member, so maybe there's no harm in buying one whenever. Just a hassle to return sometimes.