Keep 2010 13' MBP or Upgrade to SSD or 2011 MBA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NYRangers11, Aug 4, 2011.

1. NYRangers11 macrumors member

Hey Guys wanted some opinions....

I currently have a almost one year old 13' 2.4 C2D from 2010. My time window to get applecare is about to expire and here I am faced with a dilemma. I am thinking I should probably get applecare if I plan on keeping this computer. On the other hand I can also sell this one for about $700 - $800 and buy a MBA. Im thinking either 13 or 11 with 4 GB Ram and 128 HD. Or I can get applecare and buy a 128 SSD from OWC. Price wise I can swing either option but I think applecare + SSD upgrade will come out to be a little more than the current MBA.

My computing needs are fairly simple. I mainly use it for browsing, MS Office, music, movies, and some amateur aperture here and there. I do understand that with a MBA I will gain an advantage in portability yet I will loose the Superdrive.

Lets hear some opinions. Thanks !

2. RWil85 macrumors 6502

I have the same machine and put a 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD in it with 8GB of RAM..the thing books, opens MS Office apps in <2 seconds, handles Aperture 3 well as far as I'm concerned, etc.

I'm somewhat interested in selling mine, though - I'd like to upgrade to one with an i-whichever processor as well as have a Tbolt port to futureproof it a bit. Im sure a processor upgrade + SSD + RAM would certainly fly. I'm worried about that C2D being a bottleneck for the machine at times.

I've never resold Apple gear - where would you do it?

3. NYRangers11 thread starter macrumors member

I would either sell it to someone I know or I will put out an ad on craigslist. I would obviously meet them in a safe and public location for a cash only payment.

4. 7thMac macrumors 6502

I have the same model. I did not buy Applecare as I prefer to self-insure and my credit card covers me for the second year of warranty. I am not going to SSD at this time as my computer starts up instantly from sleep. There isn't necessarily a dilemma. Unless something is wrong or you need more power, consider doing nothing and save your money.

5. Tike1994 macrumors member

Tike1994

I just did the exact thing you are considering. I sold my 2010 13" MBP to my brother's friend for $850 and bought a new 13" Air.

I took a look at eBay and $850 seemed to be the average price for the base 13" MBP. If you have all the original boxes and it's in great condition you might get more.

I mainly use my laptop for browsing and find the Air is perfect for using on my lap. It's definitely faster than the MBP.

I bought an external optical drive from NewEgg for $29 over the weekend, so hopefully that will work with it when the kids want to watch a DVD on the road. It came yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to hook it up and test it out.

6. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I think if you are doing photography you would be disappointed in the MBA screen compared to the MBP. The MBA is a great portable laptop but I do not see how you can compare the 2 screens when it comes to editing photo's.

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Definitely Apple Care and a SSD. Definitely. The SSD in ANY "current' MBP will make it better than any MBA in all regards. You have the regular voltage HD3000, a 13 inch screen (lower resolution though, not too bad), a higher clocked processor, a CD drive (or a 2nd storage drive), and the long battery life.

That machine would last you at least another 3 years. I just got a MBP yesterday and I'm probably just going to keep it for 3 or so years, at least until I get out of college.

8. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Clock speeds aren't everything. The 2.4GHz C2D in the OP's MBP geekbenches at ~3342, whereas the 1.7GHz i5 in the Air benches at ~5372, and ~5800 for the 1.8GHz i7.

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Ah you're right; it will turbo boost and surpass all former MBPs. For some reason, I thought I included the iCore to iCore comparison, guess not.

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

+1

You can also upgrade the RAM to 8GB.