Keep 2011 iMac Or get MacBook Pro ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ak907Freerider, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Ak907Freerider, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

Ok so I bought a 2011 iMac 27-inch with a 3.4 i7, 20gb of ram, 1tb 7200 hd, and 1gb video card. I also bought AppleCare which has 2 years left. I have been tempted to go portable and received a trade offer for a 4-month old MacBook Pro 258ssd with the i5. He did not purchase AppleCare so only has 8 months of warrenty. Wondering if this would be a fair/smart trade. I mostly want to go ssd I use a ssd all day at work and using my iMac has become painfully slow after that. I don't want to void my warrenty by a ssd install. And would rather not have external for ssd. Also have a 6 month old don't want a accident with my iMac since only spot we have for it is living room.

I mostly do hd video editing and working with raw photos. Then web etc light stuff.

Any thoughts??? Good trade??

2. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

The mobile CPU is a trade-off in the MacBook and you'll also be losing the 4 extra virtual cores, which your i7 has. You're getting a smaller screen and less room for expandibity. If it were me, I wouldn't make the trade.

Just have a certified apple repair center make the upgrade to SSD for you in your iMac. It won't break the warranty and you'll have the disk speeds you're looking for all while preserving your current power and screen size.

3. Ak907Freerider thread starter macrumors 6502

I have checked with our 2 local apple certified repair shops to get ssd installed. Both told me it would void my warrenty by installing the ssd. It is very tempting to just do it myself. But would hate to void it. Kinda feel stuck by AppleCare.