Keep 2012 13" MBP or Exchange for 2012 13" MBA?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mnsportsgeek, Jun 19, 2012.

?

Keep 2012 13" MBP or Exchange for 2012 13" MBA (Both base models)

1. Keep 13" MBP

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Exchange for 13" MBA

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Hello everyone,

Let me start off by saying I purchased the 13" MacBook Pro last Monday because I had been using a broken 15" 2008 MacBook Pro for the last 6 months so I was eager to get rid of that thing.

I have been using the 13" for the last week and I gotta say that I really do like it. I love the 13" screen size as opposed to the larger footprint of the 15", and it gives me a good excuse to utilize the full screen apps more with the 13".

Here's the thing though, I'm wondering if I should exchange it (within 14 day period) for a base model 13" MacBook Air. The Powernap feature in Mountain Lion is very intriguing to me, and I've heard that a MacBook air will run significantly faster than a MacBook Pro in day to day tasks. All I use my computer for is internet browsing, writing papers, iTunes, and iPhoto with the occasional game (Might give Diablo 3 a try, but I prefer consoles for my gaming fix).

Back to Powernap, I'm concerned that Apple will start coming out with features that utilize their SSD's and no moving parts laptop configurations, PowerNap being the first of them. I'm not really comfortable with having a laptop that purchased a week ago already being left out of features.

The other thing I'm concerned about is future proofing. I would like this thing to last me around 4 or 5 years. I'm confident that I can get my MacBook Pro to last that long because in a couple years I'll be able to throw in an SSD and upgrade to 16Gb ram and be good for a couple more years. Unfortunately that is not possible with the MacBook Air. Is this a big deal? Will the MacBook Air need to be upgraded in 2 or 3 years versus the 4 or 5 I could get out of my MacBook Pro?

Also, my current MacBook Pro backup size is around 130 GB, I know I will have a 128 GB SSD in the MacBook Air (the upgraded model is not an option money wise for me). However, alot of this space is video podcasts, and iOS applications that just sit there so I think I can get rid of them. However, I plan on getting a USB powered external HDD with USB 3.0 to store alot of my videos and such. Is this a logical move?

Thanks for all your help, and sorry for the length. I just want to make the right decision.

2. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

tbh neither the 13 pro or air will play Diablo III well, so I'd say its a wash there. If you just need home storage, just get a external usb drive. You can even get a 2tb 2.5" drive if you need a lot of storage space for cheap. As for the ram situation, in the air get the 8gb, for the 13 pro you don't have to since you can always upgrade later.

3. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

As far as the processor goes, in 3 years will I be wishing I had a 2.5Ghz processor in the pro instead of the 1.8Ghz in the air? Or will I not notice a difference in the long run?

4. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

don't understand why i was downvoted. just asking a question.

5. BlueOcean macrumors member

Well, from a raw numbers point of view, Geekbench shows around a 500 point difference between them, which is something, but not much.

In fact, the 2.0Ghz i7 in the Air supposedly has better performance than the i5 in the MBP, though I'm not sure whether heat will throttle that more under intensive use.

I'd say you might notice the difference if you got the 2.9Ghz i7 in the MBP in comparison to the Air, but otherwise they seem similar enough.

As far as future proofing goes, the MBP will last longer if only because you can put in potentially 32GB of RAM when it becomes available and upgrade storage. Other than that, the speed difference seems negligible. (Bear in mind, I have neither so I'm going by numbers, but I've been doing some research as I'm thinking of buying some form of laptop soon)

6. derf36 macrumors newbie

Seems like you already made your decision last week when you bought the mbp.

Exchanging a perfectly good machine because you made your buying decision without doing your research first doesn't feel right to me.

Keep your machine and learn from it for next time; do your homework first before shelling out your cash.

btw, it's not relevant to my comment above but I will be buying the air next week.

7. mnsportsgeek, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

There's a reason they have a 14 day return policy, so you can test your mac out in the wild. Thanks for the insight though mother.

8. dj99mac macrumors newbie

This thread might be relevant:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1388758