Keep 3G or First Gen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ubersalad, Aug 6, 2008.

1. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I am debating if I should sell my first gen or 3G phone and not exactly certain what to do. For the last 5-6 days, I actually have been using my first gen phone while the 3G is sitting at home. I hate the 3G network coverage, and I hate how unstable my 3G phone has been with the apps. So I am not sure what to do at this point, any suggestion?

2. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

I personally have kept both of mine, one is backup. Depends if you think you will use both of them enough.

3. ubersalad thread starter macrumors 6502a

The way I am looking at it is that I have $300 or $800 sitting there collecting dust.

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Personally, I think the first gen phone is superior in a lot of ways - you'd get more money selling the 3G too.

5. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

If you do not need 3G or GPS why would you want to pay and extra $15 per month for DATA and SMS? I chose it mainly because I wanted GPS and maybe the 3G would be nice. The 3G has not been that big of an advantage for me. I am on WiFi most of the time and when I am not the 3G is mostly weak. And I should be in a good 3G area according to the map. Other then that the phones and applications seem to be the same when on v2.01.

6. telf22 macrumors regular

sell the 3g. the quicker the better money you will get.

7. mark34 macrumors 6502a

This thread is a mystery to me. I can see the decision as to whether or not to fork over money to get a new iphone. But if you already bought the 3G... why would you not use the 3G? I guess if you do not have 3G coverage. I was stuck recently in an edge only location and I cannot imagine using an iPhone without 3G... it is a huge difference.

Nothing wrong with the old one, but the new one is improved (better). I personally think it looks and feels better as well.

edge... blech

8. importluva macrumors member

The 3G is better despite...

1. Inferior build quality. The aluminum is gone, even from the sim card tray.

2. I drove to wisconsin and back and 90% of the way i was in 3G coverage (including chicago loop), so the 3G network definitely exists and will get better with time. Heck, i live in kentucky and im still in 3G coverage.

3. GPS works and has the potential to replace in-car GPS systems and gamin/tomtom units. Need more time.

4. Software will get better, just hang in there. I've been fortunate to have 0 problems with both my edge phone and 3g phone.

9. ubersalad thread starter macrumors 6502a

I admit Edge is horrible and I quit trying to surf the web using Edge. But like most people, I spend most of my days in areas with WiFi coverage.

I love surfing on 3G and I gave it a legitimate shot, and I told everyone at the very beginning that it's worth the upgrade. Now after all the struggles I had with apps (which I know can be fixed with future upgrades), I am beginning to despise my new phone.

I am on this forum enough to know the comparison of these phones, but I still can't make up my mind. So I created this thread hoping people can jive my thoughts to determine if I should keep 3G or first gen.

10. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

They've already released a firmware update for the 3G. Isn't it the 2.0 software that's having all the bugs, not the 3G iphone itself? In that case the old iPhone would be affected by bugs too, and I can't imagine why you wouldn't upgrade for the App Store. I've had 0 problems with 2.0.1 so far and I had a bunch with 2.0.

IMO, the 3G looks much better, feels much better, and if you ARE in an area with 3G (there will be more and more in the future) you can actually USE the internet, unlike on EDGE. If they can get TomTom GPS on the thing, I can't see why Anyone would choose the older, more inferior iphone over the newer, sleeker, sexier, and more capable 3G model.

11. ubersalad thread starter macrumors 6502a

GPS is great, but we have a $300 Garmin that's somewhere in our storage collecting dust...I think everyone is trying to convince themselves how GPS is a useful tool, but how often do most of us utilize it on a daily or even monthly basis?

Thank you for all your input, I am not trying to debate those of you that are offering great opinions, I am just sharing the thoughts that are already in my head.

12. liziefly macrumors newbie

Ok so think about it like this - before you got an iPhone, would you have ever thought about having 2 phones in perfect conditions at the same time? Probably not. So the conclusion is to have just one phone.
    The whole point of getting the 3G when you already have the first gen is for its features. So after hours of no food, no drink, no bathroom and waiting in line for a freaking phone, you are saying you don't want it and you despise it. That phone cost over $300 and and the first gen phone cost even more. That's a month worth of living expenses for a lot of people. In my opinion, you sound like you got too much free time to be debating over an issue like that. You can't have everything, unless if you have too much money to burn.

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I would personally sell the 3G phone and gain some coin, the 3G doesn't seem any more useful to you than the original phone. So save the money for the next gen iPhone which will still have 3G, GPS etc and even better iterations of them since things would've matured by then and you wont have to be beta testing & paying $15 extra a month whilst at it

But its your decision to make

14. Cask Guest

Well, you could probably sell the 1st Gen for about 300 - 400 USD and the 3G for about 700 - 900 USD. If you don't need 3G, the GPS, or like the updated design, I would just stick to my 1st gen and sell the iPhone 3G for twice as much.

15. biblicalfury macrumors member

I have a first gen iPhone and I see no need to upgrade. The extra monthly cost isn't justified to me. The edge network isn't fast, but it's just a phone. I don't need blazing fast browsing speeds.

But if you already bought a new one...?

16. ubersalad thread starter macrumors 6502a

Had partially to do with hype and also bigger storage. I was traveling a lot for business and was tired of having only 8gb of space.

17. View macrumors regular

There you go. If u sold the 3G, u lose the 16GB and will be stuck with 8GB again.
    I dont understand how ur 3G has problems with Apps, and not ur old iPhone... They both runs on the same software (unless ur old one runs 1.1.4)...

You might need to try restoring the phone to see if it still has issues.

Keep in mind that even if you sold the 3G, you will still have to pay that $10/15 extra a month for the 3G plan.

I'd say sell the old one :D

18. ubersalad thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had restored my phone several times, and the issue with apps ring true for about 5 other 3G phones that my coworkers are using.

As for the plan, if you register a 2G IMEI to your account, you won't have to continue paying for the 3G data. That's speaking from personal experience.

19. View macrumors regular

If you could do that, then it would probably be worth going back. Considering you can probably get $700+ for the phone (which is crazy btw).