Keep AC charging MacBook even while sleeping?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by turnstylez18, Aug 21, 2007.

1. turnstylez18 macrumors regular

ive read that it is okay to leave it plugged in all the time..

but what about when it is sleeping? and unattended? could i still leave the ac adapter connected to the macbook? i dont want to have too many cycles for my battery..i have 25 for my first month..
    i have a surge protector for it. i will only be using the battery for when i go to school..

thanks

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You should leave it plugged in if you want to reduce your cycle count. Unplugged the MacBook uses about 0.75% per hour of battery while sleeping.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Leaving it plugged in is perfectly fine. Each battery's charging cycle (1 cycle) is counted as a full discharge and full charge.

ex. If the battery is only 50% and then charged and then discharged 50% again and then charged, OS X counts that as 1 cycle NOT 2.

Besides, people generally blow the charging thing WAY out of proportion. I've had my PB for over 2 years now and charge it when I like, etc and it still holds plenty of charge. The count is currently at 179. At this rate it'll be another year before it really starts to lose holding capacity (at cycle 300) and by that time I'll want to upgrade anyway.

4. turnstylez18 thread starter macrumors regular

the only time the macbook is on battery (this month) is when it is sleeping...so that is when im out or overnite...i already hvae 25 cycles ..i consider that a lot from for only using battery when its sleeping...

what do i do?
    leave it charged ALL THE TIME? or unplug it when its sleeping?

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

As a rule I keep mine on charge overnight just so that sleep mode doesn't drain the battery needlessly.

6. turnstylez18 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks ...i guess ill only leave mines charged when im using and overnite during sleep...

and use the battery when im out...which is only short periods of time...

thanks

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i leave mine plugged in whenever its at home, i have 27 cycles mine is about 6 weeks old

8. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

How do you check your cycles?

And how many cycles does the battery have? I've heard its around 800 and the battery itself will gradually die even without charging within 3 years. Anyone confirm this?

9. turnstylez18 thread starter macrumors regular

get istat pro widget...itll tell u

10. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

I have well over 200 cycles after a year. The battery's only dropped to 88% original capacity, so don't worry. :)