keep apps and info with a new computer??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by friekunater, Jan 19, 2009.

1. friekunater macrumors 6502

hello all!

I have about 4 pages of apps worth over $300 in total, let alone all my calendar info, 300 contacts, and other things that aren't on my computer (except for in backups I suppose). I am getting a brand new 2.4GhZ alum unibody MacBook (YAY!!!!) from a four or five year old Dell desktop and I want to know if there is a simple, easy, and free way to keep them after I switch to the new computer

also, is there a way to do the same with music and videos from iTunes?

probably a dumb question, but thanks anyway!

2. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

I have done this myself before. I authorized my new computer on my iTunes account and then I transfered the files (apps, music, videos) to the new computer. Then I just imported them all into iTunes.

3. friekunater thread starter macrumors 6502

yes but how do you transfer them to the new Mac from the PC for free???

4. jake921660 macrumors regular

You can download all your apps again and they will be free. Or if you plug your iPhone into your new comp with iTunes and sync the apps it will ask you if you to transfer them back onto your computer.

Not sure about the songs and videos though.

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Authorize your Macbook first though. If you don't it'll wipe your iPhone clean.

6. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

The easiest way to do that is to bring the PC with you when you buy your new MAC, and let the Genius do the transfer. It will take about an hour. Go get something to eat, or go shop or something. But in no way should you stay inside the Apple store, as it will cause you to become poor. I know from first hand experience.

7. friekunater thread starter macrumors 6502

ehhh... no. the Dell is my family's computer and it has way much more stuff than I'd ever need.

thanks all, I think I understand now!