"Keep arranged by" - not listening!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jufjo, Jan 23, 2012.

1. jufjo macrumors member

I'd like to sort my folders by name and I'd like my macbook to remind these preferences.
    When I right click a window and select "Keep arranged by name", everything looks great but when I then leave the window for a second to check on a folder or something and return to the folder, it is all mixed up again.
    How do I make sure the folders keep the order I like?

2. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Are you saying that you open a Finder window, set the sort order, close the Finder window... and then the next time you open it, the sort order has changed? That's not normal. I don't have a solution, but wanted you to know that it should be remembering your sort order.

Does this happen on every folder or just one? Are you in list view, icon view, or ??

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I'm not at my Mac, just going by memory, which could be dangerous.

I believe you are mistaken. You cannot right click and select "Keep Arranged By". You can select "Arrange By". There's a difference... in a minute.

To select "Keep Arranged By" you need to open Show View Options. Check it, and you shouldn't have it switching back on you. It's "permanent".

"Arrange By" is for you to be able to temporarily change the arrangement when you don't want that to last. Rather than having to change it back, you can just close the window. It will revert to the "Keep" setting next time it's opened.

4. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Are you certain of this? I tried it last night and the sort order was preserved after closing and reopening the window. I think "Arrange by" is just another way to do the same thing as clicking on a column heading or choosing the same option from the View menu.

As a test, I even deleted the .DS_Store file and reopened the window, and my new sort order still stuck.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Apparently I was wrong on both points. I have them reversed, and it doesn't do what I thought it did for me before. See, told you my memory can be dangerous.

6. jufjo thread starter macrumors member

This happens in every folder, I use icon view.
    I've had this issue for as long as I can remember.