Keep Black Macbook or buy Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nickm55, Sep 15, 2012.

1. nickm55 macrumors newbie

I'm pondering whether I should sell my Black 2.16GHz, C2D Black Macbook (2gb Ram) with a new palm rest case replaced by apple in the last week. I can get about £200 on ebay for it. Is it worth selling and buying a 13 Macbook Air i5. I need my laptop for internet browsing, Microsoft Word, Serato and non graphics intensive stuff. Is it worth using the remaining capital from the Blackbook (which I love) and transfer it to some updated horsepower of the i5 Air. I'm not too bothered about a drive.

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Why not just keep it if you only use it for browsing and the like? Upgrade the RAM and toss a small SSD in there for a $100-$150 facelift and be on your way with a faster laptop and reusable parts in the future.

3. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Agreed. Personally, I wouldn't buy an air if i only used it for what you do. The blackbook can handle that fine. Max out the ram and toss in a cheap ssd (no china-cheap) but say a 120gb corsair or the like. You can get a decent SSD for 80-85 quid nowadays.

4. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

I would say keep it just for the hell of it , your only going to get about 200 from it, if that's going to make a difference in pricing go for it , if not then keep it , it's a nice machine to own

5. GenesisJLS macrumors regular

GenesisJLS

Keep it. It's a great machine. I'd put a Samsung 830 128 GB SSD in there and you'll at least use it for another two years. If it works, don't fix it, but an SSD will make it feel like you have a new machine.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

It's a lovely machine still suitable for lots of things. Heck, I wish Apple would offer a new Black MBP.

7. nickm55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the thoughts, I think I'm going to stick in a 128 or 256 SSD and max out the ram to 4 gigs. It makes sense to spend a couple hundred quid to upgrade. This blackbook can keep me going for a few more years. Then I'll buy the Air and let this mac become my music computer when it goes into retirement.

8. minkeygirl macrumors newbie

I kept mine

I recently had the same dilemma with my white Macbook which is in great shape. I'm just a casual user so I didn't need anything fancy.

For considerably less money than getting an Air, I got more memory, upgraded to Leopard. I was told it would last me at least another 10 years.

Keep it, these are going to be rare animals some day.

9. K0P Bacon macrumors member

like those told you earlier...

Just want to comment I have a 2006 Macbook 1gb ram and 80gb hard drive she is a beast. The only thing going against the old girl is normal wear and tear. I had apple take care of it once in 2008, they did it reluctantly at the apple store but within 10 minutes all better.

I am afraid of the day when my Macbook fails me because quite honestly I do not trust the Macbook Pro's or the Macbook Airs. The Pro's have been having all sorts of hard drive issues however I do like them having Solidstate or the Flash drive. As for the Air's I am concerned about the hinges and how sturdy it is. I know earlier Air's had cracking hinges. I wish they kept making the original Macbooks.

Yes, I will also admit I have been having a bit of a battery problem just replaced my Macbook's battery this summer. This would be the second replacement but other than that she runs like a beast. I only use her now for surfing the web, downloading music and sending e-mails or posting pictures on facebook.

10. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

i would upgrade to something unibody, those plastic macbooks and their video graphics are crap