Keep failing disk verify. New disk or new install?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yojitani, Nov 22, 2007.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I'm on a MacPro - standard 2.66 Quad - running 10.4.11.. recently, I started noticing some sluggishness in some apps. a bit more freezing and stalling than usual etc. so.. to make a long story significantly shorter, I did a 'disk verify' in the disk utility, it came up with some errors so I repaired them with the utility on the install disks. So, a week later, was having some trouble with skype and some other programs, checked again, just to rule it out, and now I have even more errors! I should mention that after I did the repair from the install disk, I checked and the disk passed.

The errors this time are:
    Volume Bit Map needs minor repair

Invalid volume free block count

and at the end:
    Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

I still have apple care, so if the disk is failing I can probably get a replacement from apple. But do you think this is a hardware problem or should I reinstall the OS? Both would be a pain, but obviously a reinstall would be worse.

2. admiraldennis macrumors regular

It's not a problem with your install of Mac OS X, but it may simply be a corrupt filesystem and not a physical drive problem.

Does SMART report any errors? Do you hear any odd sounds or does the drive sometimes hang for long periods of time?

If not, I'd recommend formatting the drive, reinstalling the system, keeping regular backups, and seeing if you encounter any problems.