keep folders at the top? [finder]

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maximus06, Dec 4, 2007.

1. maximus06 macrumors regular

I'm used to this from windows - in finder is it possible to have folders stay at the top instead of being sorted alphabetically by name along with files?

I just don't like how files and folders are intermixed...

2. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I'd be interested in this too. That's one thing I do miss from my Windows days (about the only thing). :D

3. intheweeds macrumors newbie

I would also be interested to know if this is possible....

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

5. Verschoren macrumors regular

Verschoren

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

As a note, the "Arrange By Icon" solution can only be done while in icon / item view mode ... unfortunately.

I wish someone made a way to have folders appear at top and keep the rest the same like Windows does. It just works better for the way I organize things and it helps all the switchers from Windows.

7. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

The question has already been answered twice in this short little thread. Sort by Kind.

8. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Sort by kind works perfectly. Another way is to put a blank space character at the beginning of all your folder names and they'll be sorted alphabetically at the top of the name list.

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You obviously didn't read my post very well. I know that's "a" solution, but it isn't a very good one as it screws up the order of the rest of the files. Read before you post.

10. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

At work, we use the add a single space at the beginning of the folders names. Works very effectively.

11. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Adding a space to the beginning of the folder name? Come on, thats ridiculous. As previously stated in this thread, Sort By Kind is the solution.

12. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

how can it possibly be ridiculous if it works? just because you don't use it/like it doesn't mean its not a good, viable solution to maximus06's problem...

13. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Its ridiculous because it dictates that file names are controlled by the view. You are losing function for form. It has nothing to do with whether I like it or not, and if you dont understand that, I cant help you.

14. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Its not about me... I was just trying to offer someone some advice. This way is the only way to view folders at the top without taking the individual file names out of alphabetical order.

If you have any practical reason for why the space method is bad for basic file systems, please let me know so I can let our IT guys know that they should fix it. Theres no need to get so irate about the whole thing.