Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Over recent weeks I keep getting the same website pop up when I use Safari.

Is there anyway I can find out why, and how to prevent it please.

Heres a screenshot of the pop up...

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-08%20at%2021.22.18_zps5xynemki.png

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
I would suggest downloading and using:

1. AdwareMedic (http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php).
2. AdBlock (https://getadblock.com).

Good luck!

P.S.: you may try also to clean cache and Remove All Website Data in Preferences/Privacy.

Thanks for the reply.

I alread have adwaremedic (which successfully eliminated the Geneio adware that I was suffering from) but it hasn't found any new bugs on my macbook.

I also already have AdBlock installed. Maybe next time I see the pop up I should adjust the AdBlock settings?

And I have already removed all website data, to no joy. Is cleaning cache something separate?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Also remove any unknown extensions in Safari/Chrome/Firefox and reset their homepages.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Thanks for the reply.

I alread have adwaremedic (which successfully eliminated the Geneio adware that I was suffering from) but it hasn't found any new bugs on my macbook.

I also already have AdBlock installed. Maybe next time I see the pop up I should adjust the AdBlock settings?

And I have already removed all website data, to no joy. Is cleaning cache something separate?

Stevie, if you ran AdwareMedic already and have AdBlock installed, I would recommend what I have written in P.S.

janjeewa

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2016
Over recent weeks I keep getting the same website pop up when I use Safari.

Is there anyway I can find out why, and how to prevent it please.

Heres a screenshot of the pop up...

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-08%20at%2021.22.18_zps5xynemki.png
Hi,
I had the same problem. And found a simple solution. Hope this could be generalised to your issue too.
Go to the application folder and locate a folder called 'Hotpoppy' or 'Hotsoppy' ( now i can't remember it exactly the way it was!)
Move it to trash and clear the trash. If the trash won't clear, locate the EXEC file in the bin within the folder and delete it permanently. It has worked well so far for me..
Good luck
[doublepost=1469624423][/doublepost]Hi,
I had the same problem. And found a simple solution. Hope this could be generalised to your issue too.
Go to the application folder and locate a folder called 'Hotpoppy' or 'Hotsoppy' ( now i can't remember it exactly the way it was!)
Move it to trash and clear the trash. If the trash won't clear, locate the EXEC file in the bin within the folder and delete it permanently. It has worked well so far for me..
Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.