Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 18.45.49.png

Since updating this popup keeps appearing on my computer, first at start up, then after some interval. JAVA is already installed. I've even tried to uninstall and reinstall. I'm guessing there is some program trying to run in the background. Any ideas on how I could figure what it is and disable it?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Java and JDK is a little bit different. You may need to install JDK rather than Java.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Well I'd rather just get rid of whatever is causing this to pop up. I know it's not JAVA itself, since I even got the error when it was uninstalled.

brianjsw

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
It's something installed on your system that is using Java. If you only have Java 1.8 installed then the below fix might be applicable to you. If you are comfortable editing files (I'm a computer programmer) this is how I fixed the problem on my system:

Edit /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_51.jdk/Contents/Info.plist
find the <key>JVMCapabilities</key> and make sure the <array> after it contains:
<array>
<string>JNI</string>
<string>BundledApp</string>
<string>CommandLine</string>
</array>

Your installed Java version might be slightly different in which case you should modify the path accordingly.

On the other hand, if you do not have 1.6 installed and you want to avoid editing files, you can install that alongside 1.8. https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US has the link.

The issue with 1.8 is that it is shipped by Oracle and they have a mistake in their installation program that leaves those keys out of their .plist file.

Reactions: APlotdevice

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
It's something installed on your system that is using Java. If you only have Java 1.8 installed then the below fix might be applicable to you. If you are comfortable editing files (I'm a computer programmer) this is how I fixed the problem on my system:

Edit /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_51.jdk/Contents/Info.plist
find the <key>JVMCapabilities</key> and make sure the <array> after it contains:
<array>
<string>JNI</string>
<string>BundledApp</string>
<string>CommandLine</string>
</array>

Your installed Java version might be slightly different in which case you should modify the path accordingly.

On the other hand, if you do not have 1.6 installed and you want to avoid editing files, you can install that alongside 1.8. https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US has the link.

The issue with 1.8 is that it is shipped by Oracle and they have a mistake in their installation program that leaves those keys out of their .plist file.
Sorry for the delay. It would appear that my JavaVirtualMachines folder is completely empty.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
When that panel appears, does it show anything when you open Activity Monitor > CPU, select/search Java (“Download Java components”) and double-clicking on it without closing the Java install dialog? Maybe it reveals which application is calling it. It will probably just say launchd, but who knows.

In addition, you can check the Console app for clues. Select “Diagnostic and Usage Messages” on the left side and type “java” in the search field. Among those “Download Java components” entries there should be a line called “com.apple.message.signature”. When you launch the java command from Terminal it will say “Task:CommandLine”. Maybe it reveals something else to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: APlotdevice
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.