Keep getting beachballed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Allosunshine, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Allosunshine macrumors newbie

Allosunshine

I've currently got an SSD installed (64GB OCZ Vertex 2E) into an Opitbay-a-like off eBay and a Samsung 640GB installed in the main HDD compartment.
    Before I got my Optibay I had the SSD installed in the main HDD compartment and the Samsung HDD in an external enclosure.

But since installing my Optibay-a-like I've been getting quite a lot of beachballs and the system locking up for a minute or two. Its doing my swede in. I never got it before when my Samsung HDD was in an external caddy connected by USB.

I did originally have the SSD and Samsung HDD installed the other way around but swapped them over after reading advice that the main HDD compartment had the motion sensor.

Any suggestions. Cheers.

2. Kyffin, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

Kyffin macrumors 6502

I thought to do this too for the motion sensor- unfortunately from what I've read (and I'm assuming your SSD has the OS &c on) your boot disk needs to be in the HD enclosure and the 'slave' in the optibay. I'll find the post for you but if its not too much effort I'd suggest swapping them around and having a look. (ps 'doing my swede in' lol!)
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1050400&highlight=

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Switch them back and see if you keep getting beachballs; I read somewhere that even though the main HD compartment has the motion sensor (unnecessary for the SSD), it is still better to put the main drive (SSD) in that compartment. I can't remember why.

4. Allosunshine thread starter macrumors newbie

Allosunshine

When I originally installed the Optibay the SSD was in the main HDD compartment and the Samsung in the Optibay but I was still getting beachballed.

Could this have anything to do with it:
    I moved my Home folder to the Samsung but the Library folder itself is still on the SSD which I've done by creating a sym-link from the Samsung to the SSD.

5. tjb1 macrumors 68000

It may be the fact that the optibay has cheap electronics in it. Try moving the Home drive back over to the ssd with the ssd in the main compartment.

6. Allosunshine thread starter macrumors newbie

Allosunshine

Thanks for the reply but if you read my first and last post thats how I originally had the SSD and Samsung configured.

7. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Even with the Home folder coming off the ssd?

8. Allosunshine thread starter macrumors newbie

Allosunshine

No, because everything is stored on the Samsung so I want everything to go straight onto the Samsung without messing around. I know thats sounds stupid because thats what I've done by moving the Library folder onto the SSD but that was only 1 symlink, I'd have to create a few to point the folders across to the Samsung if the Home folder was on the SSD.

9. tjb1 macrumors 68000

To move the home folder you go into System Preferences > Accounts > Unlock > Right Click on your Account > Advanced Options and change the home directory.

What you should do is move the SSD back to the HDD spot, and make everything load from it. That means no links to the samsung at all, library and home are on ssd. This could be from the optibay being bad or the ssd going bad. Sandforce isnt really supported on Mac, only thing Apple seems to support is the Intel SSDs.

10. Allosunshine thread starter macrumors newbie

Allosunshine

It would seem that I'm catch 22.
    If I move the Home and Library folder onto the SSD all my Default folders go to the SSD which is a pain as I haven't got the space on the SSD and I have to manually move stuff from the SSD to the Samsung every time. If I don't do anything I'm stuck with the beachballing.

11. tom123 macrumors regular

tom123

ssd

Go to sys prefs - energy saver and set computer sleep to never.

Has something to do with ssd firmware were the computer goes to sleep on its own, (not closing the lid but auto sleep), I don't understand but seem to work for me. (I have the ssd in the optibay-with sys startup)

12. Allosunshine thread starter macrumors newbie

Allosunshine

I already have sleep turned off for when the power is attached and I still get beachballed but not as often as when its on battery, which I've just realised.

13. tjb1 macrumors 68000

No, you would only be doing this to find the problem.. Once problem is found you can move everything back to how it was.

14. jenzjen macrumors 68000

What's the space issue on the SSD? I have the 80GB Intel supporting both Snow Leopard and Boot Camp with no issues whatsoever. My home folder and library remain on the SSD along with my Windows 7 install.

For my large files, music, video, iPhoto libraries, I simply redirected those onto a different disk through the respective application itself not via messing with the entire home folder structure.

15. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I'm a little confused. So you want to be able to boot off of your HDD and store other files on your SSD?

Did you have this issue before you modified/split the files?

16. Allosunshine thread starter macrumors newbie

Allosunshine

I just find it alot easier with the home folder redirected through sys prefs, makes it seamless.
    I did try it with the Home folder on the SSD but I had a problem when downloading/updating my apps in iTunes where they wouldn't go where they were supposed to.

I already boot off of my SSD and all my files are stores on my Samsung.

Just on a different note, I've got Boot Camp installed on my Samsung and whenever I want to boot into it I have to put a Windows 7 install DVD into a drive for it to boot.

17. jenzjen macrumors 68000

:) I would hardly call this seamless ... it reads like you're dead set on making your setup work your way, so good luck.

For what it is worth, I've had the SSD (both SL and W7) + HD (for iTunes, iPhoto, etc) for 2 years and not once have I had an issue, as I left my home folder alone. Before that, I did move my home folder and had 3 issues in 2 months so YMMV.

18. Allosunshine thread starter macrumors newbie

Allosunshine

What I mean by seamless is I go to save a document it opens the document folder on my Samsung, update one of my apps in itunes and it downloads it to the correct folder, etc.
    I don't have to copy it from my SSD to my Samsung or change the filepath within a program when saving stuff.
    What issues did you have if you remember??

19. tjb1 macrumors 68000

You can create aliases for certain folders for instance make one for music folder...iTunes keeps everything in the music folder so move it to the hdd and there you go.

20. jenzjen macrumors 68000

First, my downloads were going back to the non-home drive. Then, even though the option was selected, iTunes was not adding files to the library *consistently* sometimes it would sometimes it would not. The 3rd time was the straw, I could not login my account.

Unless you have really *large* files going to your library or downloads, you should not have to move files to the Samsung, etc. I don't mess with my library files now, everything lives on the SSD, but I do not do heavy duty media stuff so not sure if that makes a difference.

21. aCondor, Jan 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011

aCondor macrumors 6502

It happens to lots of people. You just have to be more aggressive. When its just you and the girl, try to sweet-talk a little and move into foreplay. Maybe this can help get the mood right and you won't have to walk home like you have cantaloupes for testicles.
    [​IMG]

Edit: Sorry. This is wrong. But still useful info.

22. tjb1 macrumors 68000

What the hell is this?

23. aCondor macrumors 6502

I thought he was talking about being blueballed.