Keep getting kernel panics? Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sayheysarah, Jul 18, 2012.

1. sayheysarah macrumors newbie

I have a 2011 mbp 13 running lion 10.7.4.

I keep getting kernel panics. It has been going on for a few months now but today I had three within 7 minutes. I wasn't even running Anything the second two times before the computer made me restart. I previously backed everything up and now am running the extended apple hardware test.

Any ideas?

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Both hardware and software can cause this type of issue. You need to eliminate variables in order to find out what is causing the issue. Start with: What are you doing when this happens?

Try booting from an alternate source. This will give a good indication if you have a software or hardware issue.

Either way, it's a newer MacBook. I'd take it right to Apple. Bring an external hard drive if you have one so that they may be able to backup your data if they need to format your hard drive.

3. WRP macrumors 6502a

I've had capture cards, ram and a faulty super drive cause kernal panics on machines in the past. You need to figure out the cause, it could be plenty of things an impossible to diagnose with this info.

4. sayheysarah thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try booting in safe mode after the test is done. I was using Google chrome when the first one happened. The second the computer was booting to my desktop and the third was the same as the second. I didn't have a chance to open anything before the panics happened.