Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robert1998

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2017
Hello guys! I just want to know if there is any solution to make HDR stay on permanent in the iOS camera?

daffie

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
Holland
This setting should do it...if I’m not mistaken.

7b28c1b5c64762d00988507612150d69.png

blazen100

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2018
Reactions: mbarata

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It will stick for a bit. Apple tries to default it off because its generally more harmful to image quality in the vast majority of photos.

Since photos that benefit from HDR (no movement in the shot) isn't typically hyper time sensitive they likely figure you can turn it on manually for those shots.

The auto settings algorithms are actually pretty good although even then I'm usually deleting the HDR shot vs the original.

They go a step further and default saving the original image on too.

jasonsmith_88

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2016
It will stick for a bit. Apple tries to default it off because its generally more harmful to image quality in the vast majority of photos.

Since photos that benefit from HDR (no movement in the shot) isn't typically hyper time sensitive they likely figure you can turn it on manually for those shots.

The auto settings algorithms are actually pretty good although even then I'm usually deleting the HDR shot vs the original.

They go a step further and default saving the original image on too.

I agree, HDR is usually worse. However, sometimes it's better. And the algorithm isn't perfect. One time I decided to leave it on auto, and plenty of my photos had blown-out highlights. So now I always shoot with HDR on. And it's extremely frustrating to have to tap the little HDR icon before I take a shot.

Instead of going for the simplest solution - preserving last-used camera settings - Apple has made the decision to complicate the situation by creating a preference pane for preserving specific settings, but inexplicably this preference pane only contains some camera settings - not all.

This isn't an omission - Apple know what they're doing. I just can't understand what benefit any user gets from not being able to keep HDR on. You can always delete a HDR photo if it's no good, but you can never retroactively apply HDR to a non-HDR photo. So if your goal is to always get the best possible photo, HDR + Keep Normal Photo is a no-brainer.

After 6 months mine is still on just fine....

iPhone 7? Maybe it depends on which device you have. I've had a 5 and 6s and neither of them will keep HDR on.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I agree, HDR is usually worse. However, sometimes it's better. And the algorithm isn't perfect. One time I decided to leave it on auto, and plenty of my photos had blown-out highlights. So now I always shoot with HDR on. And it's extremely frustrating to have to tap the little HDR icon before I take a shot.

Instead of going for the simplest solution - preserving last-used camera settings - Apple has made the decision to complicate the situation by creating a preference pane for preserving specific settings, but inexplicably this preference pane only contains some camera settings - not all.

This isn't an omission - Apple know what they're doing. I just can't understand what benefit any user gets from not being able to keep HDR on. You can always delete a HDR photo if it's no good, but you can never retroactively apply HDR to a non-HDR photo. So if your goal is to always get the best possible photo, HDR + Keep Normal Photo is a no-brainer.

iPhone 7? Maybe it depends on which device you have. I've had a 5 and 6s and neither of them will keep HDR on.

My guess is so people don’t always use it leaving a poor reputation for camera quality for reasons that aren’t obvious. For example if you always used the flash people looking at the photos would know why they are bad, not so much with HDR. And/or losing a once in a lifetime photo because it was left on.

With HDR on uses should be very limited (no motion, not brightening things you don’t want like underside of a car from a low angle, minimal vivid colors, etc) and premeditated.

jw91

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2015
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.