Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc.garcia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Hi there,

I was wondering if it is possible to use migration assistant for the purpose of keeping home computers in sync. I already have a NAS server so data files are already available for my computers, but it is rather annoying to be at one of them and realizing that the app I want to use is installed on the other one... so, is there any solution for that? any sort of dropbox for system configuration and applications?

thanks a million in advance for sharing your knowledge!! :)

joecool99

Suspended
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Hi there,

I was wondering if it is possible to use migration assistant for the purpose of keeping home computers in sync. I already have a NAS server so data files are already available for my computers, but it is rather annoying to be at one of them and realizing that the app I want to use is installed on the other one... so, is there any solution for that? any sort of dropbox for system configuration and applications?

does not LION auto sunc via cloud feature ?

marc.garcia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
that sounds like whining. why don't you simply install the apps you use on all you systems ?
With all due respect, don't you think that is the standard way of getting applications installed on a comptuer? do you think that if that satisfied me I would have created this thread?

Do you have multiple computers? if so, don't you think is a wasted of time having to install the same applicication over and over again, specially when Apple has such a great app called Migration Assistant?

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
Hi there,

Migration assistant should do it for you, but it isn't really a sync solution. It will get you to the point where you have the same app set on each computer, although, you may have to re-enter license codes for some.

A better solution might be to get a copy of Lion server ($49, £34) to administer each of your machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.