Keep i7 antiglare 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, May 5, 2010.

  1. thadoggfather, May 5, 2010
    Last edited: May 5, 2017

    thadoggfather macrumors 604

    thadoggfather

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #1
    I got an i7 antiglare 15" (antiglare was only in high end i7 15" at apple store, couldn't wait for it to come through the mail -- not having a functional computer was beginning to effect my work). I still love it, but I don't think I need i7 horse power. I don't game or doing super intense stuff, but if I ever want to, I guess now I have it. Love the matte, especially coming from a 2.66 c2d glassy previous gen (main reason I sold it).

    But if I get the i5 base with glass stock everything, it's about 500 cheaper.

    If I get base 13" (c2d I know), it's about 1100-1200 cheaper.

    I'm at the 20 day mark and I know return policy is 14 days. Main reason I contemplate swapping it is because I wish I had an SSD, although I'll probably get one eventually for this machine (although not now, need to save funds for Europe).

    Thoughts? I think I should just keep it but I dunno. Considering how much I sold my last MBP for ($1900 shipped), the difference ($2300 after edu discount and tax for this i7 15" antiglare) shouldn't be a deal breaker.

    Help? WWYD?
     
  2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    #2
    You already have it, keep it. On the bright side it'll last you for ages.
     
  3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

    thadoggfather

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #3
    Yeah that's a good point and that's a thing I keep in mind. It'll be a while before my machine is ancient and laughed at :p
     
  4. Inksworth macrumors regular

    Inksworth

    Joined:
    May 1, 2008
    #4
    My advice is to keep what you have. The price difference is a drop in the bucket after a few years.

    If you're thinking about the SSD options, I would wait a little bit for the prices to come down, and then drop one into the i7.
     
  5. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    #5
    As far as SSDs go, since you're short on cash you could wait til the turn of the year and get the new generation of SSDs; they'll be cheaper and come in higher sizes and a wider range of sizes.
     
  6. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

    thadoggfather

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #6
    Also excellent points, thanks guys!

    yeah like i got the i7 model because that was the only one the apple store retailers carry, and i couldn't wait any longer (school work was piling up) so the extra 300 bucks, while not what I budgeted for, was fine considering there was a volcano eruption and delays for custom orders. so it all worked out well in the end I guess anyways!
     
  7. rawd macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2008
    #7
    Dude haven't you posted the same **** like everyday about keeping that computer
     
  8. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

    thadoggfather

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
  9. shoppy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2007
    Location:
    Hants
    #9
    I buy and sell every revision, and whilst new now it will be old on the next revision. Unfortunately that is the technology trap. You could always return and order a CTO i5 base with hi res and still save money towards and ssd.

    The standing joke in my family is I have never kept a laptop longer then 6 months. But I like to have the latest.
     

Share This Page