Keep i7 antiglare 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, May 5, 2010.

1. thadoggfather, May 5, 2010
    Last edited: May 5, 2017

thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I got an i7 antiglare 15" (antiglare was only in high end i7 15" at apple store, couldn't wait for it to come through the mail -- not having a functional computer was beginning to effect my work). I still love it, but I don't think I need i7 horse power. I don't game or doing super intense stuff, but if I ever want to, I guess now I have it. Love the matte, especially coming from a 2.66 c2d glassy previous gen (main reason I sold it).

But if I get the i5 base with glass stock everything, it's about 500 cheaper.

If I get base 13" (c2d I know), it's about 1100-1200 cheaper.

I'm at the 20 day mark and I know return policy is 14 days. Main reason I contemplate swapping it is because I wish I had an SSD, although I'll probably get one eventually for this machine (although not now, need to save funds for Europe).

Thoughts? I think I should just keep it but I dunno. Considering how much I sold my last MBP for ($1900 shipped), the difference ($2300 after edu discount and tax for this i7 15" antiglare) shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Help? WWYD?

2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

You already have it, keep it. On the bright side it'll last you for ages.

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Yeah that's a good point and that's a thing I keep in mind. It'll be a while before my machine is ancient and laughed at :p

4. Inksworth macrumors regular

Inksworth

My advice is to keep what you have. The price difference is a drop in the bucket after a few years.

If you're thinking about the SSD options, I would wait a little bit for the prices to come down, and then drop one into the i7.

5. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

As far as SSDs go, since you're short on cash you could wait til the turn of the year and get the new generation of SSDs; they'll be cheaper and come in higher sizes and a wider range of sizes.

6. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Also excellent points, thanks guys!

yeah like i got the i7 model because that was the only one the apple store retailers carry, and i couldn't wait any longer (school work was piling up) so the extra 300 bucks, while not what I budgeted for, was fine considering there was a volcano eruption and delays for custom orders. so it all worked out well in the end I guess anyways!

7. rawd macrumors regular

Dude haven't you posted the same **** like everyday about keeping that computer

8. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

9. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I buy and sell every revision, and whilst new now it will be old on the next revision. Unfortunately that is the technology trap. You could always return and order a CTO i5 base with hi res and still save money towards and ssd.

The standing joke in my family is I have never kept a laptop longer then 6 months. But I like to have the latest.