Keep iLife '08 with Leopard clean install?

ktrix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I want to do a clean install of Leopard, but I don't have the installation media for iLife '08 since it came preinstalled on my new MacBook. Can I just copy the applications to an external disk and then copy them back once the installation is complete? Or does iLife '08 require an installer? (I've recently switched from Windows, so it boggles the mind that you can just drag-and-drop applications like that.) In terms licensing, I think I should be allowed to keep iLife '08. It's the same machine afterall; just a new OS.

ktrix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
The original install DVD has iLife '06 on it. The MacBook I bought didn't have iLife '08 on it, so I complained and they just installed the new version for me at the store from an install DVD they had. So I believe I only have two options (if I want to do a clean install): 1) back up the apps manually or 2) go back to the store and ask them to install iLife '08 again.

Really just want to know if copying the iLife '08 apps will work or not.

Comment

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The original install DVD has iLife '06 on it. The MacBook I bought didn't have iLife '08 on it, so I complained and they just installed the new version for me at the store from an install DVD they had. So I believe I only have two options (if I want to do a clean install): 1) back up the apps manually or 2) go back to the store and ask them to install iLife '08 again.

Really just want to know if copying the iLife '08 apps will work or not.
It sounds like you're high and dry for a clean install.

I'm surprised they did that to begin with.

Comment

ktrix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
It sounds like you're high and dry for a clean install.
So if I copy, for example, iMovie '08 to an external drive, and then copy it back to the Applications folder after the clean install, it won't work? I'm a little surprised considering that Apple appears to be pretty lenient in terms of serial numbers, activation, etc.

Comment

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
So if I copy, for example, iMovie '08 to an external drive, and then copy it back to the Applications folder after the clean install, it won't work? I'm a little surprised considering that Apple appears to be pretty lenient in terms of serial numbers, activation, etc.
There are still support files in /Library/Application Support that you'd have to carry over as well.

In addition to the help files and other documentation.

Comment

ktrix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Okay, thanks for your help. I think I'll go to the store and make them either reinstall iLife or give me an installation DVD.

Comment

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Okay, thanks for your help. I think I'll go to the store and make them either reinstall iLife or give me an installation DVD.
Yeah it does sound like a pain.

They should have given you the discs to begin with if they were going to do something like this.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.