Keep iLife '08 with Leopard clean install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ktrix, Oct 26, 2007.

1. ktrix macrumors newbie

I want to do a clean install of Leopard, but I don't have the installation media for iLife '08 since it came preinstalled on my new MacBook. Can I just copy the applications to an external disk and then copy them back once the installation is complete? Or does iLife '08 require an installer? (I've recently switched from Windows, so it boggles the mind that you can just drag-and-drop applications like that.) In terms licensing, I think I should be allowed to keep iLife '08. It's the same machine afterall; just a new OS.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Beaten to death question.

Just run the Bundled Application installer on the original DVD.

3. ktrix thread starter macrumors newbie

The original install DVD has iLife '06 on it. The MacBook I bought didn't have iLife '08 on it, so I complained and they just installed the new version for me at the store from an install DVD they had. So I believe I only have two options (if I want to do a clean install): 1) back up the apps manually or 2) go back to the store and ask them to install iLife '08 again.

Really just want to know if copying the iLife '08 apps will work or not.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It sounds like you're high and dry for a clean install.

I'm surprised they did that to begin with.

5. ktrix thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I copy, for example, iMovie '08 to an external drive, and then copy it back to the Applications folder after the clean install, it won't work? I'm a little surprised considering that Apple appears to be pretty lenient in terms of serial numbers, activation, etc.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

There are still support files in /Library/Application Support that you'd have to carry over as well.

In addition to the help files and other documentation.

7. ktrix thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks for your help. I think I'll go to the store and make them either reinstall iLife or give me an installation DVD.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah it does sound like a pain.

They should have given you the discs to begin with if they were going to do something like this.