Keep iPad Air or build computer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by renosausage, Dec 31, 2013.

1. renosausage macrumors regular

Just bought a 128gb iPad Air.

I returned a MacBook Pro Retina and bought the iPad Air instead.

I love having it because of its portability, but there are a few things I am missing.

Number 1, I want to continue playing Battlefield 4.

Number 2, I type a lot of documents for school.

Number 3, I want to have a movie collection from torrents.

So here is the issue I have and some questions.

Is the iPad Air a good laptop replacement for school? Multitasking, research, typing papers etc...

The computer I want to build is a hackintosh, are these difficult machines to build and are they aggravating to deal with?

Finally, I can only choose between this ipad and building a custom computer. What would you do and why if you were me?

2. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

None of this makes any sense. You had an awesome laptop that did everything you want, you swapped it for an ipad and now you want a hsckintosh so you can do what your original laptop could do?

This is some crazy shiet my friend. What were you smoking on NYE?

3. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Keep iPad Air or build computer

The iPad air is great for typing essays on pages. I recommend getting a Bluetooth keyboard with a nice stand to go with it. Can't play battlefield 4 on an iPad. I don't know about movie torrent collections. If battlefield is a must I recommend the custom computer but that is not portable.
    For school related activities it make a great laptop replacement IMHO.

4. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sorry I should have explained. The MacBook was 2500 dollars. I liked it, but I could not justify spending that much money for what I needed. It was just too much to invest. That's why I returned it.

Sorry I didn't explain that earlier. Forgive me.

5. 617aircav Suspended

That's funny. If 2500 was too much for me, which it is, I would not have bought a computer that expensive. Seems you buy things on the spur.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

iPads are great but they are no replacements for desktop/laptops for many tasks.

You have a list of things you want, and the iPad does not really handle those too well if at all. Given that you have two choices, buy a computer (either windows or a mac) or build a computer (either windows or hackintosh)

I'd say go with the option that makes the most sense for you

7. Apple fanboy, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014

Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That' all around a better idea as you can find some good deals on craiglist.

9. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For some tasks yes the iPad can easily replace a laptop though I really would not want to write a term paper on an iPad. Some tasks are just better suited for a laptop.

There's another thread about how hard/easy it is. You can see it here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1690435

There are sites like insanelymac that deal specifically with hackintoshes so I'd recommend visiting those for more information.

I would choose selling the iPad and finding an inexpensive used Mac laptop, I know that's not an option, but I don't like the options set before me.

Finally,
    I'm putting on my Moderator hat and moving this thread to the Buying Tips and Advice forum as this thread is better suited there.

11. mpantone macrumors 6502

Neither.

This recent thread pretty much covers the reasons why Hackintoshes are poor candidates as a primary computer: there's a lot of downtime and a sizable system administration load. Hackintoshes are not reliable systems to get things done.

Hackintoshes aren't portable anyhow, so you are asking to choose between a tablet and a desktop PC, two totally different things. Since you leave a desktop PC as viable option, clearly mobility is not a must-have.

Reviewing your purchases, it could be said that you chose poorly. You should have bought a refurb Mac mini, plus maybe a refurb iPad 2.

The fact that it looks like you may need to return both of your purchases to get what works best for your needs clearly shows you did not think this through adequately.

Anyhow, good luck. You definitely need it.

12. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Meow.

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...how about a 2013 refurb MBA and a smaller (32 or 64Gb) iPad air...should fit your needs and also be very portable.

14. Cubytus macrumors 65816

How could you spend that much on a Retina? OP can even get brand new laptop Mac for far less than that:
    Either used.
    Or refurb (if that impractical US-keyboard is not a problem for you)
    Or lower in range.
    Heck, gimme $2k and I sell you my MBP!

I see a student with many downloads and the need for a reliable machine. The OP needs a sturdy OS. Therefore, Windows should only be used as a last resort.

15. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

Pretty much with enough know how and effort the ipad can do everything the macbook can do. But not as good. And the effort is not worth it. I also have a ipad air. And I also returned my macbook pro. But I bought a imac instead. I am going to Remote Desktop to my ipad for max portability. I found that the macbook is portable. But not portable enough. Having to unplug all the USB's each time I didn't like. If you really need a computer with you all the time for work or school then yes the macbook is worth it. But if it's only for convenience then more likely a ipad would do.

16. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

Update!

I returned my iPad and decided to build a Hackintosh

Specs:

Intel Core i5-4670K
    GA-Z87N-WIFI Mother Board
    16gbs Corsair Vengeance Ram
    2TB Barracuda HDD from Seagate
    DVD Drive
    Water Cooled CPU
    Nvidia GTX 760 GPU

GeekBench on 32-Bit
    Single-Core Score 3537
    Mulit-Core Score 11429

17. Cubytus macrumors 65816

Good for you. But don't complain when an OS X updates breaks your carefully crafted machine. Or when a peripheral starts acting wild and you can't pinpoint the issue.

And that's not portable, so you won't have anything to work outside your home. Doesn't appear well-suited to the student life.

18. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

"Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs it down,
    But a good word makes it glad."
    Proverbs 12:25

"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up"
    1 Thess 5:11

19. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

He clearly doesn't need his desktop to be portable. It's pretty obvious a mackintosh is not portable dude.

20. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would have kept the iPad and got a Chromebook for typing. Total investment would have been under $900, and would have been a great blend.

21. Cubytus macrumors 65816

Thanks for stating the obvious, however you missed the last line: students have usually high portability requirements. It's not realistic to be overscheduled but still find the time to go back home each time works needs to be done.