Keep iPad charging while using it?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by absentraveler, Jun 7, 2011.

1. absentraveler macrumors newbie

I am a new iPad 2 user and have a naive question. Normally, I charge my iPad once a couple of days and use it while it is discharging. Then, I charge it again once the charging levels have reached 10-15%.

Is this mode of usage optimal for the longevity of the battery? Or should I keep the battery charging while I'm using the iPad? I do not have a docking station (since I'd opted for a smart cover instead) but I can still keep it connected to the power outlet on my office desk.

On a related note, how long does the iPad battery keep giving optimal performance?

2. absentraveler thread starter macrumors newbie

3. wizee macrumors member

wizee

When my ipad 2 gets low, I charge overnite, when I turn on in the am, I leave it plugged in until I leave the house. Been doing this since March. No problems.

Also, If you turn off the auto rotate, (only use it when needed) you will gain more time. I average 11 hours of power. Neat trick.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I use mine while it's plugged in, I also drain the battery every couple of days and haven't had a problem.

5. club1820 macrumors member

Does anyone know if there are extensions cords available so you don't need to be so close to an outlet?

thanks.

6. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Apple sells a 10W USB charger with a six-foot cord. $29 at the online store. Very handy to keep in the house while the original charger travels with your iPad.

7. Cubemaster13, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

Cubemaster13 macrumors member

Dont really understand what you are asking sorry. If you want to try to use your computer to charge your iPad when it says not charging, there is a video on YouTube if you search charge iPad anywhere, that's what I use to charge my iPad in my low end Dell laptop. Not sure if it is what you are looking for, sorry.

8. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

that would be OK, i wouldn't recommend going lower than 10% before recharging. you want to avoid regularly reaching 5% or less on the battery level (this is known as deep discharging) because some studies show that constant deep discharging accelerates the deterioration of the battery.

i generally plug-in my ipad when i reach 15-20% remaining, with my usage pattern it works out to about 1 charge per 7 days.

apple recommends doing 1 deep discharge every 30 days. you should take that with a grain of salt as everyone's usage pattern varies.

no, you should avoid doing this on a regular basis. this is known as "topping off" and like deep discharging, it can eventually lower the storage capacity of the battery.

9. absentraveler thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your very useful response, bufffilm!

10. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Plug the electric plug into any old extension cord, no need to pay for an extension for the USB plug.

11. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

That what I do!