keep iPad Mini 2 or change for Air 2 (or wait for mini 4)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nitromac, Jun 23, 2015.

1. nitromac macrumors 6502

Yesterday I bought the 32gb mini 2 after spending about an hour comparing the Air2 and Mini3 at the apple store. The Mini form factor felt so much better to me, and the scaled-down size of everything works well for me.

My primary concern is: how fast will the Mini 2 become obsolete? Will IOS 10 likely support it? It is the same hardware as the Mini3 after all...

I'm totally satisfied with the Mini 2 performance. Once in a while there will be a little bit of UI lag but nothing super noticeable. The Air 2 was slightly smoother overall when I tried it but not $250 worth of a difference.

I'm not planning on gaming much on this thing (I have consoles and a PC for that), I mostly bought it for music creation when an idea pops into my head or just regular media consumption (browsing, netflix etc)

Are the specs enough to keep it going strong for 2-3 years? Or should I consider spending the extra dough on the Air 2 which is certain to last longer (and support more new features from IOS updates). But again I really prefer the Mini form factor.

PS I would never use the split screen on the Air 2 anyways personally

2. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

It sounds like you made the right choice for you. The Air 2 will outlast the Mini 2, but why get something that you aren't completely happy with. You can always sell the 2 and get the Mini 4 if the specs are that much better next year. Meanwhile enjoy your Mini 2. I have the Air 2 and Mini 2 and there are a lot of times when the form factor of the Mini 2 wins and that is the device I take with me. The Air is primarily for home use.

3. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

I did the same some months ago, that and I was able to save a plethora of cash in the process. My mini 2 has been a champ so far and with iOS 9, I believe it's going to get better. Yeah, no split-view multitasking is a tad disappointing, but the slide over and PIP will help to transform our mini's utility in that regard anyway. It's possible the mini 4 brings us the Air 2 specs, but I still believe you made a sound choice.

It's funny, I do the same with my mini. Logic Remote, Mainstage, and other apps have transformed my music creation as well!

4. seawise macrumors newbie

seawise

I will definitely replace my iPad mini 2 with iPad mini 4, think it will carry updated hardware in terms of performance and force touch.

I like mini form factor a lot, as it allows to carry the device in all of my jackets. I haven't tried iPad Air, but don't think it's portable in that way.

As for performance, iOS 7.x have not lagged at all, but 8.3 lags a bit, especially in Safari, so I hope iOS 9 will address this issue.

5. ACG12 macrumors 6502

I was originally going to go with a mini because the Air 2 just seemed to big. I got use to it very quickly though and I'm glad I went with the Air 2 simply because its much more "future proof" than the current Mini..

6. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

What if there is no mini 4? I'm worried they will axe mini, and iPod.

7. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

This is a possible concern, but the mini still sells. Apple likes their revenue streams too much to cut off a successful product line just three years into its life.

8. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

I have the mini 2 and I'm thinking about getting the new iPad Air when it comes out this year. First, I want the speed. I think the mini is still pretty capable, but I'm noticing it stutter while doing some tasks. Second, I'd like a bigger screen. I just use my mini around the house and only take it out once in a while, so I figure the bigger screen would be better for me :)

9. nitromac thread starter macrumors 6502

So I found a deal on staples that got me the 64gb Mini 3 for $350, just $20 more than what i paid for the 32gb mini 2 I have right now. Jumped on it. Touch ID is nice for purchases and stuff like password apps and the 64GB is definitely going to be nice to have for media storage.

Decided the Air form factor was too large and the performance from the Mini 2 was more than adequate. Actual app usage does not lag. A little iOS interface lag is okay since it doesn't actually inhibit any productivity.

And I don't think the Mini will be going away next gen, or if at all. It's become like the iPhone 6. You have the regular and the plus model (in this case the Mini and the full size iPad). It would be weird for apple to backtrack on having two iPad sizes after introducing two iPhone sizes

10. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Sorry if it's too late, but it doesn't sound as if you would be dissatisfied with the Mini 4. It's likely to have everything the Air 2 has in a smaller form factor, including the thin design, laminated display, and an A8X variant with 2GB memory (multitasking!). Might even get Force Touch and maybe a better camera to keep up with the latest tech. Just saying.

11. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I will be getting the iPad Air 3 this Black Friday I think. I like the portability of the iPad mini 2 I have now but I do find myself longing for even more screen real estate lately, and the bad color gamut of this mini 2 is somewhat bothersome, although tolerable. Also, the UI performance of iOS 8 is simply not doing it for me. There are so many dropped frames, it is really aggravating given that this thing has hardware that is only one generation behind.

12. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

No thoughts on the Mini 4 then?

13. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

No, lately I find the extra screen size of the regular iPads quite appealing. Screen quality/color gamut is the cherry on top.

14. nitromac thread starter macrumors 6502

I mean, the Mini 4/Air 3 are at least 4 months away. I don't really feel like waiting that long, or spending top dollar for the most recent hardware (because the Mini 4 64GB will likely cost $500 as opposed to the $350 I got the mini 3 for). The only reason I got the mini 3 was because it was (relatively) inexpensive for what I wanted it for. Having the newest tech is always good but it comes at a price and either way, next year it becomes old tech. I'm certainly not denying the UI lag but so far in application usage, it's been fast and totally satisfactory.

I agree with the color gamut thing -- but you only really notice it's there if you're thinking about it or if you have a more vibrant display next to it.

15. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I tried the iPad Air 2 three different times since it came out. Each time I ended up returning it and kept the Mini 2 instead.

16. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I did the same thing. I even traded my Air 2 for my kid's mini 2 this latest time. Now my mini 2 is very sluggish and Safari has been freezing and quitting on me. I can't wait until mini 4 comes out.